Skip to main content
If you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Read our editorial policy.

CD Projekt first-half revenues climb 26%

The Witcher franchise continues to drive Polish publisher's results as Cyberpunk 2077 sees "final, most intensive phase of development"

While CD Projekt is expecting big things from Cyberpunk 2077 in the future, the past and present continue to be all about its other major franchise, The Witcher. The company today released its financial report for the six months ended June 30, showing improved numbers thanks in large part to Geralt of Rivia.

For the first half, CD Projekt's revenues were up 26% to €50 million. Breaking that down between the company's two main divisions -- CD Projekt Red and -- the game publisher accounted for 62% of sales, while the remaining 38% came from the DRM-free online storefront.

The biggest contributors to CD Projekt Red's numbers were The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (and its expansions), Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, and Gwent: The Witcher Card Game. On the other side of the operation, the addition of catalog Blizzard games Diablo, Warcraft, and Warcraft II drove revenues, becoming the fastest-selling non-CD Projekt "classic" releases in the storefront's history.

However, the game on with the largest number of transactions was Cyberpunk 2077, which opened preorders in advance of its April 2020 launch. While revenue from those preorders is being deferred until launch, CD Projekt said they were "very strong initial" numbers, with one-third of all digital PC preorders coming straight through

The company also noted a 20% year-over-year uptick in its development expenditures, saying that was largely down to Cyberpunk 2077, "currently in its final, most intensive phase of development," as well as smaller projects like the Switch port of The Witcher 3 and ongoing development on GOG Galaxy.