The release of the upcoming horror game The Callisto Protocol has been cancelled in Japan.
According to an announcement made via the game's Japanese Twitter account, the title was unable to secure an age rating from the Japanese Computer Entertainment Rating Organisation.
"The Callisto Protocol has decided to stop the release of the Japanese version," the statement said, a translation of which has been verified by our sister site Eurogamer.
"As of now, the CERO rating cannot be passed. We have decided that we would no longer be able to provide you with the experience you need. We hope everyone in Japan will understand. If you have already pre-ordered, we will refund you."
According to Serkan Toto of Japanese consultancy firm Kantan Games, CERO didn't agree with the amount of violence featured in the space horror title, with developer Striking Distance reportedly not wanting to cut any content from the game.
Last month, Striking Distance CEO Glen Schofield became the subject of criticism following a tweet that claimed the studio was "working 6-7 days a week," on The Callisto Protocol often seeing "12-15 hour days."
Schofield later apologised for the post, and said that "we value passion and creativity, not long hours." The game is set to launch in the west on December 2.