Skip to main content
If you click on a link and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. Read our editorial policy.

Nexon reports mobile game revenue down 44% for Q3

Growth in PC sales for MapleStory maker can't quite offset mobile dip as overall revenues down 4%

MapleStory maker Nexon today published its third quarter results, reporting mobile games revenue decreased 44% year-over-year to ¥18.6 billion ($165 million).

PC game revenue was up 24% from last year to ¥57.2 billion ($506.8 million) and accounted for more than 75% of the company's earnings.

In recent years, the publisher has tried to diversify its business beyond PC to the point where the platform was less than 67% of its revenues in 2020, with the remaining 33% coming from mobile.

Overall, revenue for the company for the third quarter was ¥76 billion ($673 million) which represents a decrease of 4% year-over-year.

The company said that its sales were driven by Dungeon & Fighter, MapleStory, FIFA Online 4, and The Kingdom of the Winds: Yeon.

Net income for the period was ¥38 billion ($336.6 million), representing a growth of 132% compared to the year-ago period.

For Q4, Nexon expects revenue between ¥51.2 billion ($453.6 million) and ¥57 billion ($505 million), up 23% to 33% year-over-year.

It projects net income of ¥285 million ($2.5 million) to ¥3.57 billion ($31.6 million).

Last year's net income loss for Nexon's third quarter was reported at ¥16.33 billion ($144.6 million) which represented a 59% decrease.

Read this next

Jeffrey Rousseau avatar
Jeffrey Rousseau: Jeffrey joined in March 2021. Based in Florida, his work focused on the intersectionality of games and media. He enjoys reading, podcasts, staying informed, and learning how people are tackling issues.
Related topics