Wednesday 13 October 2004, Europe/... While many will already be aware of Guild Wars, not many will have had the chance to see just how stunning NCsoft's future offering is. Until now, that is. Those interested can head to the official website - www.guildwars.com - and download a movie of the very latest build.
Those hungry for more will also be able to take part in a Worldwide Preview Event, due to take place on the 29th - 31st of October, when players can sample the delights of developer ArenaNet's opus first-hand. Interested players can download the 90K gameplay client from the web site now, in anticipation of the World Preview Event. Guild Wars will hit shelves worldwide in Quarter 1, 2005.
In the fantasy world of Guild Wars, players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a game that will constantly evolve, using streaming technology to provide players with the latest updates while they are online.
"We're excited to unveil Guild Wars," said Patrick Wyatt, founder and programmer, ArenaNet. "We believe that players are going to enjoy experiencing a game that offers technological advances that fundamentally improve the online role-playing experience, and the introduction of a groundbreaking business model for the genre."
ArenaNet was founded by key members of the creative teams behind the hit game series Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo, as well as Battle.net, one of the most successful gaming networks in the world.
The game is mission-based, and while each combat experience will be different, achievements will be permanent, so that each character grows and progresses over time. Unique items, special abilities, and a wide variety of skills will add meaningful value for the players. Missions are not scripted adventures, but are tactical battlegrounds where victory or loss is determined by skill and teamwork.
Mike O'Brien, founder and programmer, ArenaNet, points out: "Our vision has been to create a game that rewards skill and inventiveness rather than hundreds of hours of play, so we've built Guild Wars from the ground up to be a balanced environment where players of all skill levels can compete for recognition and prizes."
Key Game Features
- Join in cooperative quests or unite in head-to-head guild battles.
- Develop a unique character, who can explore multiple professions and choose from hundreds of unique skills.
- Enjoy fully-integrated support for guilds, including worldwide tournaments and ladders, guild halls, special character identification and forums directly built into the game.
- Experience a changing world, where the entire landscape can be altered as you explore and conquer.
- Play in a secure server-hosted game environment that prevents cheating; ArenaNet's technology allows quick and seamless resolution of any possible exploits.
- e n d s -
European media - for further information please contact in the first instance:
Leo Tan / Deborah Coster
Tel: UK +44 (0)1462 456780