Tuesday 12 October 2004/... Sony Computer Entertainment UK has announced that the much-anticipated Ratchet and Clank 3, from Insomniac Games, will be coming to the PlayStation®2 in November 2004.
In this brand new adventure, Ratchet and Clank return to Planet Veldin (the setting of the original Ratchet & Clank) where they've been called upon by the president of the galaxy to stop Dr. Nefarious as he plots to exterminate all organic life. Together with the Q-Force and Captain Qwark, Ratchet and Clank set off on another hilarious intergalactic quest to uncover the schemes of the sinister Dr. Nefarious and keep the galaxy safe for organic life.
Following on from the success of the first two instalments, this all-new game boasts a brand new multiplayer mode as well as the usual single-player mode. Using a Multitap (for Playstation 2) or playing online via the Network Adaptor, gamers will be able to blast their friends into the cosmos using the best weapons in the universe!
KEY FEATURES, SINGLE-PLAYER
- Players will have the ability to earn up to 15 new weapons with up to four levels of upgrades for most weapons. Weapon upgrades can be unlocked by killing enemies and can increase the amount of damage to enemies as well as change the weapon's functionality.
- Not only can players control Ratchet, they can also play as Clank and Captain Qwark, with brand new abilities in level-specific areas.
- Ratchet and Clank will be able to earn new high-tech gadgets along the way to help them navigate through the universe.
- Players will gain access to new vehicles, like the Turbo Slider or Hovership, to compete in races and combat enemies in intense battlefield missions.
- Using a memory card from Ratchet & Clank 2TM, players will have the ability to obtain a few favourite returning weapons for free!
KEY FEATURES, MULTIPLAYER/ONLINE
- The split screen multiplayer offline mode supports two or four players offline.
- The multiplayer online mode accommodates up to eight players over a broadband connection.
- Six additional levels for online play provide plenty of diverse surroundings featuring destructible environment obstacles - perfect for creating more havoc!
- New commandeer vehicles in the multiplayer mode are equipped for co-op gameplay, allowing players to work together as one person controls the direction of the vehicle while the other unleashes the powerful arsenal of weapons included with the vehicle.
- Voice communication will be supported online via the USB headset (for PlayStation 2) allowing communication with fellow team members during online games, either in-game or in the main lobby.
Developer: Insomniac Games/SCEA
Genre: Action Adventure
No. of Players: 1-4 (via Multitap) (2-8 online)
Peripherals: Analog Controller (DUALSHOCK®2), Memory Card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2), Network Adaptor (Ethernet) (for PlayStation®2), USB Headset (for PlayStation®2)
Release Date: Quarter 4, 2004
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd.
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, based in London, is responsible for the distribution, marketing and sales of PlayStation, PS one and PlayStation 2 hardware and software in 102 territories across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Oceania. At the end of January 2003, over 38 million PlayStation units had been shipped across these PAL territories and over 95 million worldwide. Between its European debut on 24 November 2000 and 15 January 2003, over 16 million PlayStation2 units have been shipped across the PAL territories, over 50 million world-wide, making it one of the most successful computer entertainment products in history.
PlayStation and the PlayStation logo, PS one and PS2 are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About Insomniac Games
Insomniac Games is an independent videogame developer that has released award-winning hits for PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system for 10 years. The company created the first three Spyrothe Dragon games and the Ratchet & Clank franchise, which have combined to sell nearly 14 million units worldwide. Additional information can be found on the company's website at http://www.insomniacgames.com .