Sections
Gi Live London graphic

Connect with the UK Video Games Industry

Buy Your Tickets Today
Gi Live London graphic

Playright Games acquired by Qiiwi Games for around $1.1m

Publisher buys majority stake in hypercasual studio founded in 2020

Swedish mobile outfit Qiiwi Games has acquired a majority stake in British hypercasual developer Playright Games for approximately $1.1 million.

The deal, which was announced last month, sees Qiiwi acquire 63.75% of Playright's shares for an initial purchase price of $540,000. Qiiwii will acquire the remaining 36.25% of shares for an additional $500,000 if Playright meets revenue targets.

The company will also act as publisher for Playright's games going forward, as well as offering support in other areas including marketing, user acquisition, analysis and optimisation.

Playright was co-founded in 2020 by Evtim Trenkov, Kristina Trenkova and Daniel Rechter. Trenkov has held game design and product management roles at Gameloft, Square Enix and Zynda subsidiary NaturalMotion.

Prior to Playright, Rechter co-founded Big Blue Parrot, the studio behind mobile title Poker Friends, which was later acquired by Playtika.

"We are very excited and happy to now bring Qiiwi in as a majority owner in Playright," said Rechter. "Evtim and I have worked together before on several gaming projects, where we gained experience that we together brought into our work with Playright. Now we take this experience and insights with us to Qiiwi where we see many synergies between the companies. We are really looking forward to driving Qiiwi's progress and helping the company expand into the continuously growing hyper casual market."

Trenkov added: "The company's goal is to build engaging yet simple gaming experiences, so-called "game loops" that can work both with and without any deeper meta-elements."

Gi Live London graphic

Connect with the UK Video Games Industry

Buy Your Tickets Today
Gi Live London graphic

More stories

EA lays out the plan for Playdemic

EA mobile exec Jeff Karp sees "immediate opportunities" to bring Golf Clash design elements to EA Sports series, potential for "future synergies"

By Brendan Sinclair

Mobile gaming will bring in $116bn in 2024 - Newzoo

Market intelligence firm expects 11.2% CAGR from 2019 through 2024; this year's worldwide mobile gaming market projected to be $90.7bn

By Brendan Sinclair

Latest comments

There are no comments on this article yet. Why not be the first to post one?

Sign in to contribute

Need an account? Register now.