Nintendo's 3DS has returned to the top of both hardware and software charts in the company's home territory as a rush of new titles in the region dominates sales.
In stark contrast to the sparse UK and US release schedules of summer, eleven of the top twenty software offerings are new to market in Japan this week, although some have been available in the West for some time.
The Media Create figures show the 3DS's adaptation of Tales of the Abyss, originally a PS2 title, continuing the popularity of the series with close to 75,000 domestic sales in week one, putting it comfortably ahead of the PS3 sku of the latest Street Fighter variant. The 360 version of that title also makes it into the top 20 at 12.
Classic shooter port GoldenEye 007 on Wii hits fourth spot with 36,174 downloads. Another classic remake, Ocarina of Time 3D, maintains a healthy chart presence at sixth with 24,190 sales this week.
On a system basis, Sony dominates the chart once more with six games each on PSP and PS3 in the table. Nintendo manages two each for Wii, 3DS and NDS, with Microsoft claiming the last pair for 360.
Hardware sales fail to reflect that position, however, with 3DS inching ahead of PSP with 30,233 sales to Sony's 29,871. PS3 sits just behind that at 26,441 whilst the gap widens before Wii at 12,423. The discontinued PSPgo manages a paltry 7 units.
Japanese software sales chart, w/e 8 July, 2011.
- Tales of the Abyss (3DS) - 74,173 (New entry)
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PS3) - 54,924 (New entry)
- To Heart 2 Dungeon Travelers (PSP) - 37,396 (New entry)
- GoldenEye 007 (Wii) - 36,174 (New entry)
- Little Battle eXperience (PSP) - 24,471
- The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of time 3D (3DS) - 24,190
- Atelier Meruru- Alchemist of Arland 3 (PS3) - 23,756
- Steins; Gate (PSP) - 21,830
- Mashiroiro Symphony Mutsu-no-Hana (PSP) - 17,897 (New entry)
- Test Drive Unlimited 2 (PS3) - 15,254 (New entry)
- Gundam Memories- Memories of the Battle (PSP) - 13,701
- Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (360) - 12,326 (New entry)
- Wii Sports Resort (Wii ) - 12,241
- Yakuza Of The End (PS3) - 11,867
- Bleach Soul Ignition (PS3) - 9,050
- Moujuuzukai to Oujisama Portable (PSP) - 8,910 (New entry)
- Kaidan Restaurant Zoku! New Menu 100 Selection (NDS) - 8,209 (New entry)
- Power Smash 4 (PS3) - 7,999 (New entry)
- Test Drive Unlimited 2 (360) - 7,764 (New entry)
- Pokemon Black & White (NDS) - 7,623
Japanese hardware sales chart, w/e 8 July, 2011.
- 3DS - 30,233
- PSP - 29,871
- PS3 - 26,441
- Wii - 12,423
- DSi LL - 4,963
- DSi - 4,504
- 360 - 2,244
- PS2 -1,222
- DSL - 138
- PSPgo - 7