Gaming conversations continued to grow on Twitter in 2021, the company confirmed today in its summary of gaming activity on its platform.
Twitter reports that more than 2.4 billion tweets were about gaming last year, up 14% year-over-year, which also represents a 10x increase compared to interactions in 2017.
There were some changes on the positions among the rest of the top ten, with Spain dropping out of the listing as Indonesia joined at the eight spot.
The games driving discussion on Twitter chart listing saw a shake-up as Genshin Impact took the number one spot from Animal Crossing: New Horizons and mobile rhythm game Project Sekai: Colorful Stage! featuring Hatsune Miku debuted in ninth place.
The social media company also identified that the most tweeted about esports league, The Campeonato Brasileiro de League of Legends (@CBLOL), was talked about more than the official Twitter account for the League of Legends championship series (@LCSOfficial).
Additionally, the most tweeted esports team was LOUD esports (@LOUDgg) and most tweeted gaming creator Colon (@Colon56N).
Countries that tweeted about gaming the most
- United States
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
Most tweeted about games
- Genshin Impact (@GenshinImpact)
- Apex Legends (@PlayApex)
- Ensemble Stars! (@ensemble_stars)
- Final Fantasy (@FinalFantasy)
- Fate/Grand Order (@fgoproject)
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (@animalcrossing)
- Knives Out (@game_knives_out)
- Minecraft (@minecraft)
- Project Sekai (@pj_sekai)
- Fortnite (@fortnitegame)
Most tweeted about game events
- E3 2021 (@E3)
- The Game Awards (@TheGameAwards)
- Xbox Games Showcase (@Xbox)
- Gamescom 2021 (@Gamescom)
- Summer Game Fest 2021 (@SummerGameFest)