The PSP has continued its reign on the Japanese software and hardware chart according to the latest figures, with Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep holding the top spot in the software chart and the PSP console topping hardware sales for a second week running.
The game sold 177,000 units over the week, beating the second place game New Super Mario Bros Wii - with 139,000 sales - by a considerable margin.
A new entry took third place in the form of Capcom's Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles.
Two further new entries also made debuts into the top ten - Tekken 6 on PSP, which entered at six, and Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku, which entered at number seven.
The rest of the top ten were all hangers-on from the previous week. Friend Collection remained near the top at number four - down from three - and Wii Fit Plus dropped one place to five.
In the hardware chart, the Wii came out second to PSP with sales of 57,349 - down from 76,772 the week prior. PlayStation 3 also saw a considerable sales drop at number three, with 35,156 units sold compared to 61,591 the week before.
Sales of the DSi LL overtook those of the DSi through the week, while the Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and PSPgo all remained in their last week places.
The Japanese software chart for the week ending January 17 was as follows:
- 01 Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PSP)
- 02 New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
- 03 Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
- 04 Friend Collection (DS)
- 05 Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
- 06 Tekken 6 (PSP)
- 07 Last Window: Mayonaka no Yakusoku (DS)
- 08 The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
- 09 Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
- 10 Inazuma Eleven 2: Threat of the Invaders - Fire (DS)
The Japanese hardware chart for the week was as follows:
- 01 PlayStation Portable - 71,186
- 02 Nintendo Wii - 57,349
- 03 PlayStation 3 - 35,156
- 04 Nintendo DSi LL - 30,418
- 05 Nintendo DSi - 27,292
- 06 Nintendo DS Lite - 6574
- 07 Xbox 360 - 4622
- 08 PlayStation 2 - 2580
- 09 PSPgo - 2027