Inscryption wins big at GDC and IGF Awards | GDC 2022
It's the first time a game wins both the IGF Awards' Grand Prize and the GDC Awards' Game of the Year accolade
Daniel Mullins Games' Inscryption won both the Independent Games Festival Awards' Seumas McNally Grand Prize and the Game Developers Choice Awards' Game of the Year accolade yesterday.
It's the first time in the history of the events that a game wins both awards. Inscryption also received the Excellence in Design, Excellence in Audio and Excellence in Narrative prizes at the IGFA.
Looking at GDCA winners, Ratchet & Clank won the Best Visual Art and Best Technology accolades, while Witch Beam's Unpacking received the Best Audio and Innovation awards.
The Audience Award, which is voted for by the public, went to Iron Gate Studio's Valheim, which also won Best Debut.
Here's the full list of winners from the 2022 Game Developers Choice Awards:
- Best Debut: Iron Gate Studio for Valheim
- Best Visual Art: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Audio: Unpacking (Witch Beam/Humble Games)
- Best Narrative: Psychonauts 2 (Double Fine Productions/Xbox Game Studios)
- Social Impact Award: Boyfriend Dungeon (Kitfox Games)
- Innovation Award: Unpacking (Witch Beam/Humble Games)
- Best Technology: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment)
- Best Design: It Takes Two (Hazelight Studios/Electronic Arts)
- Audience Award: Valheim (Iron Gate Studio/Coffee Stain Publishing)
- Game of the Year: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games/Devolver Digital)
- Ambassador Award: Steven Spohn
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Yuji Horii
​​And here's the full list of winners for the 2022 Independent Games Festival Awards:
- Best Student Game: Live Adventure (Live Adventure Team)
- Excellence in Design: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
- Excellence in Visual Art: Papetura (Petums)
- Excellence in Audio: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
- Nuovo Award: Memory Card (Lily Zone)
- Excellence in Narrative: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
- Audience Award: Mini Motorways (Dinosaur Polo Club)
- Seumas McNally Grand Prize: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)