The US market for physical video game product was down 6 per cent in September to $1.16 billion, despite a number of high-profile game releases ahead of the Christmas sales period.
Sales of new software, including console and PC, were down 1 per cent to $653.2 million, off the back of the performance of titles such as Gears of War 3, Resistance 3 and EA Sports FIFA, NHL and Madden.
But hardware sales were down 9 per cent to $349 million and accessories dropped 14 per cent on last year to $154.8 million in a tough comparison to 2010's release of PlayStation Move.
The Xbox 360 was the number one selling console in September during the month, with 438,000 units sold, down 45,000 units on last year. Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation 3 numbers have not been disclosed.
EA's Madden NFL 12 topped the charts, followed by Gears of War 3, which sold two million units according to Microsoft. Dead Island, FIFA 12 and NHL 12 all made the top five.
The top ten US games in September follows:
- 01 Madden NFL 12(360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)
- 02 Gears of War 3 (360)
- 03 Dead Island (360, PS3, PC)
- 04 FIFA Soccer 12 (360, PS3, Wii PS2, PSP, 3DS)
- 05 NHL 12 (360, PS3)
- 06 Deus Ex: Human Revolution (360, PS3, PC)
- 07 Resistance 3 (PS3)
- 08 LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, DS, 360, 3DS, PSP, PC)
- 09 Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC)
- 10 Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (360, PS3, PC)