Skip to main content

Wii proves lucrative for EA

Publisher makes $161 million on the platform in Q1; PC second with $124 million

Electronic Arts saw net revenues for Wii software hit USD 161 million in its first fiscal quarter of the 2010 financial year, according to the company's latest figures.

That was up significantly on the previous quarter of USD 126 million and even more on the same quarter the previous year of USD 109 million, with the launch of EA Sports Active proving a strong draw for consumers.

Meanwhile the PC platform was the second most lucrative software base, at USD 124 million - although that was down from Q4 2009 (USD 180 million) and Q1 2009 (USD 152 million).

The PlayStation 3 was third on USD 121 million, significantly higher that the Xbox 360 on USD 73 million, while the PlayStation Portable outperformed the Nintendo DS with USD 38 million compared to USD 28 million.

Meanwhile North America continued to be the publisher's most important sales region, with USD 343 million in revenue generated there, albeit down 20 per cent year-on-year.

Europe was in second place with USD 258 million, down 22 per cent, while Asia added USD 43 million to the coffers, down 7 per cent.

90 per cent of the total USD 644 million revenue came from publishing, with the remaining 10 per cent coming from distribution.

Read this next

Related topics