FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SAN DIEGO, CA - April 1, 2005 - Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced that Untold LegendsTM: Brotherhood of the BladeTM was the number one selling game for the PSPTM handheld entertainment system at both GameStop and Electronics Boutique retail outlets in North America.
"We are very pleased with the overwhelming response to Untold Legends the first weekend at retail," said Doreen McKenzie, Vice President of Merchandising, GameStop. "The sell-through numbers at all of our locations are a true testament to the excellence of the game and Untold Legends beautifully demonstrates the power of the PSP handheld system."
"Untold Legends has been a top selling PSP handheld system title at EB Games stores since launch and the game is simply flying off our store shelves," said Debbie Mola, Vice President of Merchandising, EB Games. "We expect sales for Untold Legends to continue briskly as more of the new systems reach the hands of consumers.
Developed and published by SOE, Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade has been built from the ground-up specifically for the PSPTM handheld entertainment system, and is the only cooperative multiplayer action role-playing game (RPG) available for the new system. Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade carries the suggested retail price of $39.99.
About Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade
Journey to a world beyond the realms of imagination and engage in battles to save Aven, a timeless city of safe haven and the last remaining stronghold of Good in a world of Evil. As a dark threat looms and a gathering of unknown forces grows stronger, heroes have been called and the Brotherhood of the Blade has been formed. It is up to you and your chosen brothers to unravel the mysteries of this looming peril.
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade offers on-the-go action-RPG combat, intense multiplayer battles and a completely original adventure for you to uncover.
- Action RPG: Wield your blade and cast powerful spells in this action-packed, hack 'n slash RPG exclusively for the PSP handheld system.
- Epic Adventure: Create a unique hero and set out into the wilds of Unataca to battle powerful creatures, save your city of Aven from imminent extinction and unravel the mysteries of a looming peril.
- Wireless Multiplayer Gameplay: A wireless multiplayer mode features gameplay through the PSP handheld system's wireless feature. Connect directly with multiple PSP handheld systems for the ultimate in hack 'n slash action with no wires!
- Four Playable Character Classes: Select from four unique character classes including an ancient order of valiant Knights, a foundation of brilliant Alchemists, an order of noble Druids, and a race of feral hunters known as the Berserkers. Each character class has unique fighting abilities or magical spells.
- Beautiful 3D Environments: Battle through more than 100 diverse levels that come alive with brilliant 3D graphics, stunning lighting, dynamic visual effects and highly-detailed player characters and monsters.
- Dynamic Game Experience: Play in randomly generated environments and fight against unique monsters for a different experience every time you play.
- Items and Artifacts: Collect hundreds of items, usable gear and rare magical artifacts to aid in your battles.
- Character Customization: Modify your hero for a completely customized look and ability set.
- Hordes of Monsters: Battle over 150 types of monsters with 50 unique models and textures.
- Challenging Boss Monster Battles: Engage in strategic combat with humongous bosses, each with their own distinctive combat techniques.
For more information on Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, please visit: http://www.UntoldLegends.com.
About Sony Online Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Digital Inc., is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games, with a subscriber base of over 800,000 active accounts around the globe. SOE creates, develops and provides compelling entertainment for the personal computer, online, game console and wireless markets. Known for its blockbuster franchises, EverQuest®, EverQuest® II, Champions of NorrathTM, and PlanetSide®, as well as for developing Star Wars GalaxiesTM: An Empire DividedTM, SOE continues to redefine the business of online gaming and the creation of active player communities while introducing new genres on various entertainment platforms. Headquartered in San Diego, CA, with additional development studios in Austin, TX, and Seattle, WA, SOE has an array of cutting-edge online games in development.
EverQuest is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. SOE, the SOE logo and PlanetSide are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners. Untold Legends and Brotherhood of the Blade are trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. PSP is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Memory Stick DuoTM may be required (sold separately).
About Electronics Boutique
Electronics Boutique, a Fortune 1000 company, is the leading global specialty retailer dedicated exclusively to video game hardware and software, PC entertainment software, accessories and related products. As of February 21, 2005, the company operated 2,000 stores in the United States, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, Puerto Rico and Sweden -- primarily under the names EB Games and Electronics Boutique. The company operates an e-commerce website at http://www.ebgames.com. Additional company information is available at http://www.ebholdings.com.
About GameStop Corp.
Headquartered in Grapevine, TX, GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME; GME.B) is the nation's largest video game and entertainment software specialty retailer, based on the number of U.S. stores and U.S. revenues. The company operates 1,826 retail stores throughout the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and Ireland, primarily under the GameStop® brand. In addition, the company owns a commerce-enabled Web property, GameStop.com, and Game Informer® magazine, a leading video and computer game publication.
GameStop Corp. sells the most popular new software, hardware and game accessories for the PC and next generation video game systems from Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft, and is also the industry's largest reseller of used video games. In addition, the company sells computer and video game magazines and strategy guides, action figures, and other related merchandise to more than 30 million customers.
General information on GameStop Corp. can be obtained via the Internet by visiting the company's corporate Website: http://www.gamestop.com/investor-relations/
Sony Online Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment