FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SAN DIEGO, CA - October 25, 2004 - Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced that EverQuest II is scheduled to simultaneously ship to North American and European retail stores on November 8, 2004. EverQuest II is the highly-anticipated follow-up to Sony Online Entertainment's original EverQuest, the most successful and longest-running 3D MMO role-playing game in North America.
"After more than four years in development, the wait for EverQuest II is almost over," said John Smedley, president, Sony Online Entertainment. "We've invested heavily on development of the game to ensure that EverQuest II has the highest production values of any online game produced to date. We want to deliver a game to our players that will provide an experience like nothing they've ever seen."
Sony Online Entertainment is delivering a truly groundbreaking MMO game in EverQuest II with pioneering firsts in advanced 3D graphics, story, voice, production values, and gameplay. EverQuest II features the most realistic graphics of any MMO game ever created with a next-generation 3D graphics engine designed to keep pace with hardware developed over the next few years. Players will hear more than 70,000 lines of spoken dialogue in EverQuest II as non-player characters are given voiceover for the first time ever in an MMO game bringing the story of EverQuest II to life. EverQuest II also features gameplay innovations that make EverQuest II fun and exciting for all types of players and play styles, from hardcore gamers, to new MMO players, to those who play in groups, and solo players.
EverQuest II comes in three versions, all of which include a 30-day subscription (excluding SOE All Access subscriptions) to the game's online world. The CD version and DVD versions of the game carry an SRP of $49.99 and include the game, an in-game item and an in-box item.
Limited quantities of the EverQuest II Collector's Edition (DVD) are available at an SRP of $89.99. The Collector's Edition includes a number of in-game items, including "paintings" of EverQuest II scenery to be hung on the walls of a player's house, magical talking statues of Antonia and Lucan (voiced by Hollywood talent Heather Graham and Christopher Lee), and an exclusive pet baby dragon. The Collector's Edition also includes an exclusive art book, bonus DVD with trailers, gameplay videos and behind-the-scenes footage, a soundtrack CD, a collector's coin with a velvet pouch, a cloth map of Norrath, and two posters.
EverQuest II carries a monthly subscription fee of $14.99 for continuing access to the game world. Players can subscribe using a credit card, or purchase SOE 30-day and 90-day Game Cards, which open the new world of Norrath to those who choose not to use a credit card.
About EverQuest II
EverQuest II is the next generation of massively multiplayer gaming, a huge online world where thousands of players come together for adventure and community. Featuring breathtaking graphics and a vast, beautiful game world to explore, as well as voices for almost all non-player characters, EverQuest II sets new standards in gameplay and immersion. EverQuest II brings players into its world with a powerful epic storyline and gives them the power to be the hero or villain in their personal adventure. Players enter this world by creating their own unique character, choosing from 16 races and 24 classes. Players will encounter hundreds of creatures as they travel across majestic landscapes of rolling hills, barren deserts, dense forests, and bustling cities. Thousands of items, hundreds of spells, and unlimited adventure await all who enter the world of EverQuest II. EverQuest II also features:
- A new, massive online world for thousands of players to explore, filled with danger, adventure and mystery
- Voices for most non-player characters (NPCs) in the game, a huge project encompassing more than 70,000 lines and 130 hours of dialog
- Unparalleled character customization capabilities. In addition to thousands of armor, weapons and items users can equip, players will be able to customize their character's facial appearance to an incredible level of detail and personalization
- 16 races, dozens of levels and 24 classes with a branching system that allows players to choose their class as they advance
- Player-owned real estate (such as apartments, homes, and guild houses)
- No race/class combination limitations, allowing players to truly choose who they want to be in game
- New user friendly game mechanics with reduced learning curve for both new and seasoned players
- More than 160 unique creature types, from Orcs and Goblins to huge dragons and menacing Living Statues
- Incentives for current EverQuest subscribers
- A state-of-the-art, cinematic quality 3D graphics engine capable of improving as hardware technology advances
- State-of-the art combat, spell and skill systems
- Trade skills available to all player classes
About Sony Online Entertainment
Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a subsidiary of Sony Pictures Digital Inc., is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online games, with a subscriber base of over 750,000 active accounts around the globe. SOE creates, develops and provides compelling entertainment for the personal computer, online, game console and wireless markets. Known for its blockbuster franchises, EverQuest® and PlanetSide®, as well as for developing Star Wars GalaxiesTM: An Empire DividedTM, SOE continues to redefine the business of online gaming and the creation of active player communities while introducing new genres on various entertainment platforms. Headquartered in San Diego, CA, with an additional development studio in Austin, TX, SOE has an array of cutting-edge online games in development.
EverQuest is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. SOE, the SOE logo and PlanetSide are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.
Sony Online Entertainment