Sierra Entertainment's World In Conflict To Start World War III In Spring 2007
Strategy Game From Acclaimed Developer Massive Entertainment Will Bring War Home As Soviet Armies Invade the Free World
Los Angeles (April 5, 2006) - Sierra Entertainment will release World in ConflictTM, a PC strategy game that delivers intense action and coordinated team play amidst the war the world feared most - an apocalyptic showdown between the Soviet Union and the United States. Developed by Massive Entertainment, World in Conflict represents the next generation of strategy games, with completely destructible 3D battlefields, aggressive team-based multiplayer action and a focus on fast, hard-hitting battles. The game is expected to ship in Spring 2007.
"World in Conflict will take strategy games in a new, exciting direction, narrowing the gameplay focus on the best part - the intense action of modern warfare - and challenges gamers to work together to defeat the most powerful armies the world has ever seen," said Cindy Cook, Chief Strategy and Marketing Officer for VU Games. "Massive Entertainment's critically acclaimed Ground Control® series represented landmark advances in 3D technology. World in Conflict will continue that legacy and bring the strategy genre to the next generation."
World in Conflict presents a chillingly authentic Cold War scenario where the Berlin Wall never fell. Created by Cold War authority and best-selling author Larry Bond, the story begins in 1989 as the Soviets, fearing certain collapse, boldly advance into Europe. NATO responds in force only to be met on a second front -- a full-fledged invasion of the American homeland. Players take on the role of field commander, leading the era's most powerful military machines in the campaign to retake America's cities and suburbs.
"With World in Conflict, our focus has been to create the maximum number of tactical choices, climactic battles and other game-shifting events that occur during each scenario or multiplayer match," said Martin Walfisz, Founder and CEO of Massive Entertainment. "We've done this through a focus on the one thing people love most about strategy gaming - the combat."
Features in World in Conflict include:
- Super-Powered Warfare: Unleash the arsenals of the great military superpowers in the gripping single-player story created by Larry Bond
- Bleeding-Edge Graphics - The latest version of Massive's proprietary Masstech engine allows for a full 360° range of camera control and features advanced lighting and physics effects
- Complete Destructibility - As the battle rages, the world environment pays the price -- every object in the game will crumble under the force of war, including cars, buildings and forests
- Deep Multiplayer Modes: Using Massive's proprietary Massgate multiplayer server system, World in Conflict will support up to 16 players for head-to-head, team-based battles
- Real World Units: Players will take control of the most devastating arsenal of military weaponry ever created, including Soviet, American and NATO tanks, planes, trucks, troops and helicopters as well as nuclear weapons
- Player Roles - Players will choose to play as Infantry, Armor, Support Forces, or Aerial specialists; multiplayer teams will need to master each role for maximum effectiveness
World in Conflict is expected to ship in Spring 2007 for personal computer. For more information about World in Conflict, please visit the game's official Web site at www.worldinconflict.com.
About Vivendi Universal Games
Vivendi Universal Games (www.vugames.com) is a global developer, publisher and distributor of multi-platform interactive entertainment. The company is a leader in the subscription-based massively multi-player online (MMO) games category, holds leading positions in the PC, console and handheld games markets, and is an emerging player in mobile and wireless games. Its development studios and publishing labels include Blizzard Entertainment®, Radical Entertainment, Sierra® Entertainment, Massive Entertainment®, Swordfish Studios and High Moon Studios. VU Games' library of over 700 titles features owned intellectual properties including Warcraft®, StarCraft®, Diablo® and World of Warcraft® from Blizzard Entertainment; Crash Bandicoot®, Spyro The Dragon®, Empire Earth®, Leisure Suit Larry®, and Ground Control®. VU Games also maintains strategic relationships with industry leading content partners, including Universal Music Group, NBC Universal, Twentieth Century Fox and Ludlum Entertainment.