The NPD Group has announced its top ten software sales chart for the month of July, indicating that EA's cross-platform NCAA Football 10 was the best-selling game in the United States, in a month where only games published by Nintendo and Electronic Arts managed to make an appearance in the top ten.
The American college football simulator sold a combined 689,000 units between its July 14 debut and August 1. Approximately 376,500 Xbox 360 copies sold, followed by 237,400 for the PlayStation 3, with the remaining 75,100 sales spread between the game's PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable versions of the game.
The single highest-selling SKU overall for the month was Nintendo's Wii Sports Resort for the Wii. The game, a sequel to the console's popular pack-in title Wii Sports, sold approximately 508,200 units in its first seven days on the market.
These were the only two July debut titles to crack the top ten. Popular Nintendo titles Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart DS, Pokemon Platinum Version, and New Super Mario Bros continue to chart well, with debuts going as far back as November 2005. EA's Fight Night Round 4 for the Xbox 360, which sold 260,800 units in its June debut, managed to sell another 116,400 units in July. And finally, rounding out the top ten, EA Sports Active for the Wii sold 96,800 copies.
In terms of revenue, overall software sales declined 26 per cent, from USD 592,190,000 in July 2008 to USD 436,990,000. The decline is slightly less than June's 32 per cent drop, but nearly double the overall year-to-date decline of 14 per cent.
The full top ten list follows.
- 01 Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii) - 508,200
- 02 NCAA Football 10 (EA, 360) - 376,500
- 03 NCAA Football 10 (EA, PS3) - 237,400
- 04 Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 164,300
- 05 Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii) - 156,600
- 06 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo, DS) - 132,200
- 07 Pokémon Platinum Version (Nintendo, DS) - 116,400
- 08 Fight Night Round 4 (EA, 360) - 116,400
- 09 New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS) - 101,800
- 10 EA Sports Active (EA, Wii) - 96,800