Following years of country specific best selling charts from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden, it has now been decided to combine the figures to form a Nordic chart.
The Nordic region is often viewed as one market. According to research company GfK the Nordic region ranks among the top five markets in Europe.
– Besides a general interest in a Nordic chart there’s also a huge demand from the industry’s players to be able to track which games sell best in the Nordic region, says Martin Lindell, analyst at trade association Swedish Games Industry.
The Nordic chart is compiled by media control-GfK, who collects sales reports from retailers across the Nordic countries.
– The industry has been open to the idea of a unified tracking for quite sometime, but this didn't come into fruition until we began our research into Norway and an international compilation quickly followed. We are now proud to deliver a Nordic chart covering Sweden, Norway, Finland and Denmark, says Magdalena Jönsson, Project Manager of Games market research at GfK.
The first official Nordic chart is the October chart 2010. Even though the Nordic is seen as one market there are still differences between the four countries in terms of taste and culture. One clear example is NHL 11, which sells well in Sweden and Finland, but is not as popular in Denmark and Norway.
The Official Nordic Game Chart October 2010:
1. FIFA 11
2. Medal of Honor
3. Fallout: New Vegas
4. World of Warcraft
5. Fable III
6. NHL 11
7. New Super Mario Bros
8. World Rally Championship 2010
9. Civilization V
10. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
11. The Sims 3: Late Night
12. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
13. Pro Evolution Soccer 2011
14. Battlefield Bad Company 2
15. The Sims 3
16. Sports Champions
17. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
18. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
19. Mafia 2
20. Halo Reach
About Swedish Games Industry
Swedish Games Industry is a partnership organization that represents the industry in the public. The organization consists of the trade organizations Spelplan-ASGD (developers and producers) and MDTS (publishers and distributors).
The GfK Group is one of the largest market research companies in the world. The Group has a staff complement of 10,000+ employees working in 150 operating companies. They in turn cover more than 100 countries of the world and deliver their knowledge on markets and sectors, which our clients need for their decisions. The GfK Group has its headquarters in Nuremberg, Germany.
For more information:
Martin Lindell, analyst, Swedish Games Industry
+46 706 62 94 96
Magdalena Jönsson, Project Manager for Games market research, GfK
+46 730 65 31 33