Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3 win big at Elan Awards
Third annual Vancouver ceremony awards industry leaders and students
The producers of the third annual ELAN Awards have announced the winners from Saturday's ceremony, with Valve's Left 4 Dead and Bethesda's Fallout 3 taking home the most awards.
Left 4 Dead walked away with four honours, including Video Game of the Year, Best PC Game, Best Game Design, and Outstanding Technical Innovation.
Additionally, Fallout 3 received two awards: Best Console Game and Best Art Direction. Microsoft's Gears of War 2 and Disney's Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force also took home awards.
The ceremony also presented a Student Award for Best Student Video Game to the creators of Deguiyu, an alternate reality game created for the Xbox Live Community Games service. The title is unfortunately not available for purchase "due to the limitations of Xbox Live's Community Games peer review process," according to developer Bryant Davey's online portfolio.
The Elan Awards celebrate annual achievements in the animation and videogame industries. This year's ceremony, held at the Fairmont Hotel in Vancouver, was hosted by promenant voice actor Tom Kenny, of SpongeBob Squarepants fame.
The full list of winners relevant to the videogame industry is below:
- Best Student Video Game - Deguiyu
- Video Game of the Year - Left 4 Dead (Valve, PC/360/PS3)
- Best Console Game - Fallout 3 (Bethesda, 360/PS3)
- Best PC Game - Left 4 Dead
- Best Casual/Arcade Game - Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst (Big Fish Games, PC)
- Best Mobile Handheld Game - Club Penguin: Elite Penguin Force (Disney Interactive, DS)
- Best Sound in a Video Game Production - Gears of War 2 (Epic/Microsoft, 360)
- Best Art Direction - Fallout 3 (Bethesda, PC/360/PS3)
- Best Game Design - Left 4 Dead (Valve, PC/360/PS3)
- Outstanding Technical Innovation - Left 4 Dead (Valve, PC/360/PS3)