LucasArts' Star Wars: The Force Unleashed was the best-selling game in the US during September, in a month where software sales drop 6 per cent year-on-year.
The drop in the market to USD 616 million is due to massive sales of Halo 3 during September 2007, a title which accounted for 35 per cent of game sales last year.
The Force Unleashed shifted over 1.15 million copies on three formats last month, followed by Wii Fit with 518,000 units and EA's Rock Band 2 on Xbox 360 with 363,000 copies.
Although PC sales are not included in these numbers, according to NPD, both Spore and Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning would have made the top ten best-selling games in the region, shifting 406,000 and 274,000, respectively.
The top ten best-selling console games for September follow:
- 1. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Xbox 360) - 610,000
- 2. Wii Fit (Wii) - 518,000
- 3. Rock Band 2 (Xbox 360) - 363,000
- 4. Mario Kart (Wii) - 353,000
- 5. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3) - 325,000
- 6. Mercenaries 2 (Xbox 360) - 297,000
- 7. Wii Play w/Wii-mote (Wii - 243,000
- 8. Madden NFL 09 (Xbox 360) - 224,000
- 9. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii) - 223,000
- 10. Madden NFL 09 (PS2) - 158,000