Wednesday 9 August 2006/... A talking yellow sponge and a rainbow of criminals are set to mingle with elves, orcs and some fairly scary men in uniform as video games take the Silver Screen by storm in Edinburgh this August.
The Game Screenings programme for this year's Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival (EIEF06) is now confirmed, featuring a whole host of exclusives and behind-the-scenes action for video game fans.
The world premieres of Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar from Codemasters, Eidos' Reservoir Dogs video game, Spongebob Squarepants from Blitz and Crackdown from Dave Jones, creator of the Grand Theft Auto series and Lemmings are just some of the exciting sessions on offer. Students can also get in on the action with a set of specially tailored screenings including an industry expert panel entitled 'How To Get Into Gaming'.
The EIEF06 Games Screenings, held at The Odeon cinema, Lothian Road on 22nd August, is an exclusive one-day showcase that gives gamers the chance to get up close and interactive with the heroes behind some of their favourite video games, as well as sneak previews of the top upcoming titles in this exclusive one-day showcase. Packed full of premieres and news exclusives, EIEF06 brings fans closer to games than ever before.
Brian Baglow, EIEF06 screenings director said: "The EIEF game screenings are a fantastic way for anyone interested in gaming to find out more about the latest titles still in development and the newest technologies, as well as the mysterious and shadowy industry which creates them. This year's game screenings are no exception and we have some something for everyone.
"The panel sessions on getting a job in the games industry and looking at violence and adult themes in games should also be fascinating and will give people a chance to ask the questions they've always really wanted answered, " continued Baglow.
The EIEF06 Game Screenings schedule includes:
· The Legend of Lara Croft by Ian Livingstone from Eidos
· How To Get Into The Games Industry - a panel of industry experts explore the routes into the most dynamic business in the world.
· Spongebob Squarepants - the development team from Blitz reveal the next generation ambitions of a sponge.
· B-Boys - a mind-blowing performance by the world's leading breakdance group and a chance to see their first appearance in the forthcoming new title from Freestyle Games.
· Crackdown - the brand new game from Dave Jones, creator of Lemmings and the Grand Theft Auto series.
· Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar from Codemasters gets its world premiere at Edinburgh.
· Reservoir Dogs - Quentin Tarantino's controversial masterpiece is made into a game. See it here first.
· Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n' Roll and Games - a panel comprising industry experts, journalists and opinion formers tackle the thorny issue of censorship.
· An ongoing Showreel of anime/online/Machinima film shorts, including Dominator X, The Ore and Ancanar.
The EIEF06 programme of events consists of:Two days of conference sessions - The Conference will take place at the Royal College of Physicians on 21st August and at the Odeon, Lothian Road on 22nd August Game Screenings - Offering members of the public a chance to get up close with the creators of some of the leading video games at the Odeon, Lothian Road - 22nd August Edge Award - Key industry figures will gather at the Jam House for the annual Edge Award followed by the EIEF networking party - 21st August Visit the official website at www.eief.co.uk.
The Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival (EIEF) is managed by a committee drawn from all areas of the industry, including publishers, developers and the two industry trade bodies; The Independent Game Developers Association (TIGA) www.tiga.org and the Entertainment & Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA) www.elspa.com.