DS continues hardware lead in Japan
Despite top two positions in the software chart going to the PSP platform
The Nintendo DS has held onto the hardware sales lead in Japan for another week as almost all platforms saw numbers recede over the previous week, according to data from Media Create for the week ending March 29.
The DSi sold over 57,000 units to take it past the 2 million lifetime sales number in the country, while a further 8400 units of DS Lite sales saw the platform overall notch up 1 million for 2009.
The PlayStation Portable was second on 54,000, despite the top two titles in the week's software chart both being PSP games, while the PlayStation 3 was a long way back on just under 23,000.
The Wii continued its recent lacklustre sales numbers at 17,000, while the PlayStation 2 outsold the Xbox 360 for the first time in a long while - the venerable Sony console shifted 5200 units while the Microsoft flagship was listed at just over 4800.
In terms of software sales, there were three new entries at the top of the chart, with the latest Mobile Suit Gundam title taking top spot with sales of 85,000.
Disgaea 2 was second with 39,000 while Yugioh 5D's: Stardust Accelerator: World Championship 2009 for the DS was in third.
Mario & Luigi RPG 3 continued to sell fairly well in fourth, and should pass 500,000 unit sales in the coming week, while Super Robot Taisen K was in fifth.
The rest of the top ten boasted fewer than 30,000 unit sales apiece for that week, with Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 in sixth place and Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) in seventh.
Musou Orochi Z, Resident Evil 5 and Rittai Picross 3D rounded out the top ten.
The full hardware and software sales charts are as follows:
- 1. Nintendo DS: 65,809
- 2. PlayStation Portable: 54,148
- 3. PlayStation 3: 22,825
- 4. Nintendo Wii: 17,276
- 5. PlayStation 2: 5246
- 6. Xbox 360: 4849
- 1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (PSP): 85,000
- 2. Disgaea 2 (PSP): 39,000
- 3. Yugioh 5D's: Stardust Accelerator: World Championship 2009 (DS): 37,000
- 4. Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (DS): 36,000
- 5. Super Robot Taisen K (DS): 32,000
- 6. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 (PS2): 27,000
- 7. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (PSP): 24,000
- 8. Musou Orochi Z (PS3): 21,000
- 9. Resident Evil 5 (PS3): 17,000
- 10. Rittai Picross 3D (DS): 16,000