Dominions 3: The Awakening
Patched to version 3.20.
News Release: For Immediate Release
Hampstead, NC, 08 September 2008
When it comes to computer gaming you test and test the code but even then you can still roll a critical fumble. Near the end of August Illwinter Game Design and Shrapnel Games released a new patch for the multi-award winning fantasy strategy title, Dominions 3: The Awakening, bringing the retail version up to 3.20. Unfortunately in the time since its release a network bug has been identified on systems using 64-bit Linux for the operating system. Once identified the bug was quickly cornered, made to feel really bad through a series of lectures critical of its self image, and ultimately destroyed in a spectacular display of ones and zeroes.
If you play Dominions 3: The Awakening and you use 64-bit Linux (and ONLY Linux, Windows and Mac users DO NOT have to download a new patch) please download the 3.20b patch at the following location:
Now while Windows and Mac users don't need to download an updated patch if you missed the patch the first time around now is the time to grab it. The 3.20 patch is aimed at giving modders even more flexibility, along with adding a couple things for folks who enjoy megagames of Dominions 3: The Awakening. Highlights of the patch include:
• Occasional crash during host fixed.
• Move order validation improved.
• Battle enchantments expired when caster retreats from battleground.
• New switch: --nocheatdet.
• Nation mods properly recognized when starting network games.
• Increased maximum number of maps allowed in the map folder.
• New weapon modding commands: #dt_small, #dt_large, #dt_raise, #dt_magic, #dt_constuctonly, #dt_demononly, #mrnegates, #mrnegateseasily, #mind.
• Weapon modding: Range -1 = strength as range, -2 = str/2, etc.
• Increased modding limits for maximum number of monsters and descriptions.
• Monster modding: #cold and #heat takes an area variable.
• New monster modding commands: #watershape, #landshape, #forestshape, #plainshape, #unique, #stormimmune, #startaff, #bloodvengeance, #stonebeing, #leper, #beckon.
• LA Atlantis uw recruitment improved.
• LA Atlantis hero.
• Modding: Fixed problem with disappearing magic abilities when enabling many mods.
• Increased maximum number of messages (for huge games).
• Increased maximum number of commanders and units (for huge games).
Included in the patch are also two manuals for anyone with a desire to tinker with the game: an all new, map making manual and an updated mod maker manual. Both manuals succinctly cover all the important facets you need to craft your own maps and make your own mods. Both of these reference works, written by both the game developers and community leader Esko Halttunen, are invaluable tools that will open up new worlds for your Dominions 3: The Awakening experience.
Windows and Mac users who missed the patch can find it at the same location as given above. Just look for the "Downloads" section on the official game page.
Dominions 3: The Awakening is one of the most critically acclaimed independent strategy titles available, with both professional gaming pundits and fans proclaiming loud and clear their love for the game since its release nearly two years ago. Featuring three different eras, fifty plus nations, hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of unique units, spells, items, and the ability to play against twenty other opponents (fellow humans or the nefarious machine), Dominions 3: The Awakening may very well be the last strategy game you'll ever need. And yes, many games claim that but none even come close to matching a tenth of what Dominions 3: The Awakening has to offer, especially once you consider what the modding community has done for the game.
Dominions 3: The Awakening is just one of many excellent independent titles available from Shrapnel Games. Founded in 1999 by Tim Brooks, designer of 101st: The Airborne Invasion of Normandy and many other fine tactical titles, please visit our newly redesigned site at www.shrapnelgames.com You'll find information on all our current titles, up to date news coverage on our latest happenings, demos, and plenty of free games for your downloading pleasure. Be sure to watch for our upcoming titles such as War Plan Pacific for the PC, and Eat Electric Death! for your tabletop.
For press related information please contact Scott R. Krol by using the following form: www.shrapnelgames.com/forms/contact_shrapnel_games.html
To visit our company blog go to: forum.shrapnelgames.com/blog.php
For all other information, please contact:
Timothy W. Brooks
Shrapnel Games, Inc.
8254-109 Market Street
Wilmington, NC 28411