Google has unveiled its top apps and games for the year, with Apex Legends: Mobile voted Best Game by both Google Play's editorial team and users.
The Google Play’s Best of 2022 awards also rewarded Terry Cavanagh's Dicey Dungeons in the indie games category, with honourable mentions going to Dungeons of Dreadrock, Knotwords, One Hand Clapping, and Phobies.
Best Multiplayer went to Farlight's Dislyte, and Best Pick Up & Play went to Rovio's Angry Birds Journey.
There were a bunch of new categories across the awards this year, especially in the games section. That included a Best Story category, which was won by indie hit Papers Please.
Best Ongoing went to Genshin Impact and Best on Play Pass, Google's subscription service, went to Very Little Nightmares, the mobile adaptation of Tarsier's 2018 title.
Outside of games, AI art generator Dream by Wombo won Best App as voted by Google's editorial team, and BeReal won in the Users' choice.
Here's the full list of winners in the game categories:
- Best Game (voted by Google Play’s editorial team): Apex Legends: Mobile
- Best Game (Users' choice): Apex Legends: Mobile
- Best Multiplayer: Dislyte
- Best Pick Up & Play: Angry Birds Journey
- Best Indies: Dicey Dungeons
- Best Story: Papers, Please
- Best Ongoing: Genshin Impact
- Best on Play Pass: Very Little Nightmares
- Best for Tablet: Tower of Fantasy
- Best for Chromebooks: Roblox
Apex Legends: Mobile was also voted iPhone Game of the Year at the 2022 App Store Awards earlier this week.