15 December 2004 - Saturday 18 December is the final day to get online and buy presents in time for Christmas says Play.com, the UK's favourite online entertainment retailer. More people than ever have shopped on the Internet this Christmas with consumers turning away from the high street and using the Internet for a stress free way to buy gifts.
Simon Perrée, from Play.com, said: "The UK has really embraced online shopping this year. Online shoppers love the ease of use, the choice and the convenience, and trust brands such as Play.com to deliver their purchases in time for Christmas. With broadband penetration and consumer confidence increasing we expect more and more people will shop online."
Research by Play.com at the end of November showed that one third of adults expect to buy a CD or DVD online this Christmas, and the ONS figures from June revealed that half of all adults had used the internet in the previous three months to buy tickets, goods or services. This move towards online retail has accelerated as customers search for Christmas presents.
"With only three online shopping days left to Christmas the number of items and the value of the goods despatched by Play.com has increased by over 100 per cent, compared with the same period last year. As the figures from Hitwise (the world's leading online competitive intelligence service) show, cyberspace is fast becoming a cyber high street, with over 15 per cent of online visits on Sunday 28 November going to retail websites." added Mr Perrée.
The top selling products from Play.com so far this Christmas have been:
- DVD - Return of the King (Spec.Ed)
- CD - Kylie Minogue - Ultimate Kylie
- Game - PS2:GTA-San Andreas
- Book - Flanimals (Ricky Gervais)
- Electronics - Silver Mini Ipod
- Gift - Mr T in Your Pocket
020 7457 2004
0796 8888 403
Notes to editors:
1. PLAY.COM is the UK's favourite online DVD, CD and games retailer and was founded in 1998 by Richard Goulding and Simon Perrée. Originally supplying only DVDs, today PLAY.COM also offers CDs, games, books and electronics, and differentiates itself from competitors by focusing on entertainment only and pioneering free delivery on the internet.
PLAY.COM has become the UK's second most visited online retailer with in excess of two million customers in over 30 countries and more than 400 employees.