For the first time this year, Steam hosted a broadcast event of sorts to announce the winners of its annual Steam Awards, during which PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds took home Game of the Year in the user-voted honors.
The broadcast was a fairly short one, consisting of listed nominees, announced winners, and a few short pre-recorded responses from winning developers.
As in previous years, the Steam Awards are not necessarily reflective of 2018 game releases so much as what was popular on the platform during the last year, and as such only a few 2018 releases were honored.
The winners of the Steam Awards are as follows:
- Game of the Year - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- VR Game of the Year - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Labor of Love - Grand Theft Auto V
- Best Developer - CD Projekt Red
- Best Environment - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Better With Friends - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
- Best Alternate History - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
- Most Fun With a Machine - Rocket League