Team Bondi's LA Noire has topped the Japanese charts on release with more than 71,000 sales in its first week.
The game lead a surge in Western-developed games, with Sony's Infamous 2 and Vicious Cycle's Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon at second and third in the charts.
In hardware sales, Sony's PSP was the top seller with 26,407 units, with Nintendo's 3DS behind with 22,943 units according to Media Create stats translated by Neogaf.
The PlayStation 3 sold 22,900 units, Nintendo Wii 13,068, the DS family 9592 and the Xbox 360 2016 units.
The top ten best-selling games in Japan follows:
- 01 L.A. Noire (PS3)
- 02 Infamous 2 (PS3)
- 03 Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (PS3)
- 04 Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (360)
- 05 Wii Play: Motion (Wii)
- 06 Little Battler Experience (PSP)
- 07 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS)
- 08 Steins Gate (PSP)
- 09 GoldenEye 007 (Wii)
- 10 Wii Sports Resort w/ Remote (Wii)