US sales tracking group NPD has released data for the regions videogame software sales for the month of July with the headline news that sales topped the USD 591 million mark - an increase of 41 per cent over July 2007, and bringing this year's cumulative sales figure up to USD 4.9 billion.
The Xbox 360 edition of EA's NCAA Football 2009 topped the monthly chart, selling 398,000 units, with Wii Fit in a close second on 370,000.
Guitar Hero: On Tour took third spot with 310,000 copies sold while Wii Play continued to sell well since its initial release in February 2007, shifting 284,000 units.
The PlayStation 3 edition of NCAA Football 2009 was in fifth place with 243,000 games sold, while the Xbox 360 edition of Soul Calibur IV was sixth on 219,000 units.
Mario Kart Wii and Rock Band for the Wii were seventh and eighth with 175,000 and 166,000 units respectively, while the PS3 version of Soul Calibur IV was ninth on 156,000 and Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution for the Xbox 360 rounded off the top ten with 148,000 units.
The full July 2008 top ten is as follows:
- 1. NCAA Football 2009 (360): 398,000
- 2. Wii Fit (Wii): 370,000
- 3. Guitar Hero: On Tour (DS): 310,000
- 4. Wii Play (Wii): 284,000
- 5. NCAA Football 2009 (PS3): 243,000
- 6. Soul Calibur IV (360): 219,000
- 7. Mario Kart Wii (Wii): 175,000
- 8. Rock Band (Wii): 166,000
- 9. Soul Calibur IV (PS3): 156,000
- 10. Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution (360): 148,000