Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet has collected eight awards at the 12th Annual Interactive Achievement Awards, held in Las Vegas.
The user-generated platformer was awarded game of the year, console game of the year and family game of the year, as well picking up gongs for its game direction, art direction, visual engineering and innovation. In addition, the game's main character, Sackboy, won the award for outstanding character.
The event also honoured Bruce Shelley, co-founder of Ensemble Studios, for his contributions to the videogame industry. The award was presented to him by Ensemble's other co-founder, Tony Goodman.
"The Interactive Achievement Awards is the forum for the industry's leading game makers to honour the best in technical innovation and game play experience," said Joseph Olin, president, AIAS.
"This year's winners represent the range of interactive entertainment experiences and truly exemplify why videogames enjoy so much popularity among adults and children. It's no wonder that IFC TV, one of the best-known outlets for creative entertainment, is excited to bring the Interactive Achievement Awards to their audience this spring."
Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3 were the next best performers, both of which picked up two awards. Valve's zombie co-operative shooter was named the best computer game of the year and best for online gameplay, and Bethesda's open world post-apocalyptic title was named best RPG and best original story.
Other notable successes induded: Braid as the casual game of the year, Wrath of the Lich King as MMO of the Year, Mirror's Edge as best adventure game, and Metal Gear Solid for its musical composition.
The full list of awards and winners follows:
- Overall Game of the Year: LittleBigPlanet
- Console Game of the Year: LittleBigPlanet
- Computer Game of the Year: Left 4 Dead
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: LittleBigPlanet
- Casual Game of the Year: Braid
- Fighting Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Handheld Game of the Year: God of War: Chains of Olympus
- Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
- Cellular Game of the Year: Spore Origins
- Role-Playing Game of the Year: Fallout 3
- Racing Game of the Year: Burnout Paradise
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: World of Goo
- Adventure Game of the Year: Mirror’s Edge
- Sports Game of the Year: NHL 09
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: Command and Conquer 3: Red Alert
- Action Game of the Year: Dead Space
- Family Game of the Year: LittleBigPlanet
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Prince of Persia
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: LittleBigPlanet
- Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering: LittleBigPlanet
- Outstanding Character Performance: Sackboy in LittleBigPlanet
- Outstanding Achievement in Story - Adapted: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
- Outstanding Achievement in Story - Original: Fallout 3
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Game Play: Left 4 Dead
- Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: LittleBigPlanet
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
- Outstanding Achievement in Soundtrack: Rock Band 2
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Dead Space