Knack beats Yakuza to Japanese number one
PlayStation 4 bundle boosts Sony's launch title past Sega's enduring franchise
Knack seized number one in the Japanese software chart last week, thanks to a deal that saw it bundled with the console.
According to data from Media Create, in which bundled games are counted as equivalent to off-the-shelf sales, Sony's first-party title sold 309,304 units - only 150 more than the 309,154 PlayStation 4 consoles sold.
Media Create's PlayStation 4 hardware sales figure differs slightly from that released by Famitsu on Tuesday - a slightly more impressive 322,000 - but Sony's console was more popular than any other hardware platform by a huge margin.
However, the significance of the Knack bundle was evident in the underwhelming sales of PlayStation 4 games in the rest of the software chart. Only two of Sony's launch lineup - which, admittedly, did not comprise the sort of games that generally succeed in Japan - made it into the top ten: Killzone Shadowfall and Battlefield 4.
The most popular game of last week was the latest addition to Sega's sprawling Yakuza franchise, Yakuza: Ishin, which sold a combined total of more than 200,000 copies across both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.
The software top ten is below, with lifetime sales in parentheses:
- [PS4] Knack (First Limited Pack included) (SCE, 02/22/14) - 309,304 (New)
- [PS3] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) - 138,158 (New)
- [PS4] Yakuza: Ishin (Sega, 02/22/14) - 82,540 (New)
- [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru and Luca's Wonderful Mysterious Keys (Square Enix, 02/06/14) - 72,350 (634,433)
- [3DS] Kuroko no Basuke: Shouri e no Kiseki (Namco Bandai, 02/20/14) - 45,681 (New)
- [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) - 35,125 (458,961)
- [PS4] Killzone: Shadow Fall (SCE, 02/22/14) - 32,336 (New)
- [PS4] Battlefield 4 (EA, 02/22/14) - 24,799 (New)
- [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/09/14) - 17,665 (457,796)
- [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z (GungHo Online Entertainment, 12/12/31) - 15,092 (1,374,333)
The hardware chart is below, with the previous week's sales in parentheses:
- PlayStation 4 - 309,154 (N/A)
- 3DS LL - 22,253 (27,650)
- PlayStation Vita - 16,857 (17,081)
- PlayStation 3 -9,983 (10,226)
- 3DS - 9,898 (12,066)
- Wii U - 8,407 (8,782)
- PSP - 3,171 (2,944)
- PlayStation Vita TV - 1,383 (1,267)
- Xbox 360 - 241 (256)