Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - a PlayStation 3 exclusive - was the best-selling videogame in the US in June according to data released today by the NPD Group.
"While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units," said NPD Group analyst Anita Frazier.
Total Hardware sales in June amounted to USD 615.1 million, a 54 per cent increase from the same period of the prior year, with software sales of USD 872.6 million - up 61 per cent from June 2007.
Nintendo - which saw lifetime sales of the Wii surpass those of the Xbox 360 this month - placed four Wii and two DS titles in the top ten. LucasArts LEGO Indiana Jones game charted on three different platforms, with the Wii version leading the DS and PS2 versions.
"Wii Play continues to achieve an attach rate of over 50 per cent to every new Wii hardware system sale," Frazier said. "I can't think of another game that has ever had that kind of performance after 16 months at retail."
The top ten best-selling videogames in the US for the month of June were:
- 1 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3) 774,600*
- 2 Guitar Hero On Tour (DS) 422,300
- 3 Ninja Gaiden II (360) 372,700
- 3 Wii Fit (Wii) 372,700
- 5 Wii Play (Wii) 359,100
- 6 Battlefield Bad Company (360) 346,800
- 7 Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 322,400
- 8 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Wii) 294,500
- 9 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (DS) 267,800
- 10 LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure (PS2) 260,300
* - Does not include sales of the game bundled with the PS3 console.