Japanese 3DS sales plummet before price cut
PSP back on top of hardware and software charts with 9 titles in top 20
The effects of Nintendo's heavy price cuts to the 3DS have continued to affect sales in Japan, with the console selling just over 4000 units in the territory for the week ending August 7, 2011. The PSP remains in top position this week, selling close to ten times as many units.
Price cuts for the system came into place worldwide today.
The PSP has also taken the number one spot in the software tables with J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7, pushing previous incumbent Rhythm Heaven to fourth.
Whilst retail sales of the 3DS fell sharply again this week, second hand sales reportedly boomed, as customers tried to take advantage of the offer of 20 free download games if the Nintendo e-shop was accessed via 3DS before today.
Japanese software chart, week ending August 7, 2011.
- 1 J-League Pro Soccer Club! 7: Euro + (PSP) - 101,022 (new)
- 2 Kirby Mass Attack(DS) - 74,915 (new)
- 3 Toriko: Gourmet Survival (PSP) - 62,882 (new)
- 4 Rhythm Heaven (Wii) - 62,597
- 5 All Kamen Rider: Rider Generation (DS) - 52,575
- 6 Epic Mickey (Wii) - 27,257 (new)
- 7 Family Fishing (Wii) - 22,365 (new)
- 8 Wii Sports Resort with Remote Plus (Wii) - 18,945 (new)
- 9 Taiko Drum Master Portable DX (PSP) - 14,872
- 10 Devil Survivor 2 (DS) 12,904
- 11 StormLover Karen!! (PSP) - 12,477 (new)
- 12 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball (PS3) - 12,467
- 13 Queen’s Gate: Spiral Chaos (PSP) - 12,445
- 14 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2011 (PSP) - 12,369
- 15 Inazuma Eleven Strikers (Wii) - 12,369
- 16 Elminage III: Ankoku no Shito to Yaiyou no Kyuuden (PSP) - 11,954 (new)
- 17 Half-Minute Hero Second (PSP) - 10,991 (new)
- 18 Sengoku Basara: Chronicle Heroes (PSP) - 10,374
- 19 Wii Play: Motion (Wii) 8,925
- 20 Puyo Puyo! 20th Anniversary (DS) - 8,748
Japanese hardware chart, week ending August 7, 2011.
- PSP - 35,619
- PS3 - 18,338
- Wii - 17,004
- DSi LL - 4,176
- 3DS - 4,132
- DSi - 3,900
- PS2 - 1,529
- Xbox 360 - 1,406
- DSL - 102