LONDON – 9 March 2011 – Following one of the biggest launches in consumer electronics history, Kinect for Xbox 360 continued its momentum in 2011 reaching 10 million Kinect sensors sold worldwide to date. Not only were sensor sales an overwhelming success, but Kinect drove significant game sales with more than 10 million standalone Kinect games sold worldwide to date.
In a nod to the recent sales success of Kinect, Guinness World Records has officially named Kinect for Xbox 360 the fastest selling consumer electronics device, which sold an average of 133,333 units per day for a total of 8 million units in its first 60 days between 4 November 2010 and 3 January 2011. The record confirmation comes just after the latest release of the Guinness World Records 2011 Gamer’s Edition, which features dedicated sections to Kinect.
“The sales figures here speak for themselves,” said Gaz Deaves, Gaming Editor for Guinness World Records. “According to independent research, no other consumer electronics device sold faster within a 60-day time span, which is an incredible achievement considering the strength of the sector.”
More transformative Kinect games and entertainment experiences to come
While the accolades continue to roll in for Kinect, there is still so much more controller-free entertainment to be enjoyed for the 50 million Xbox 360 owners worldwide. Beginning this spring, get ready to play more games, watch more movies and TV shows, and enjoy more social experiences with Kinect for Xbox 360 including:
· Avatar Kinect. Coming this year, Avatar Kinect is a new social entertainment experience on Xbox LIVE that brings your Avatar to life. Using the power of Kinect, control your Avatar’s movements and expressions – when you smile, frown, nod and speak – your Avatar will do the same. With Avatar Kinect, you can hang out with up to seven friends in a variety of creative themed environments and capture animated videos that you can share via Facebook. Whether friends getting together to socialise, social networkers looking for new ways to speak to their community or just fun reenacting your favourite movie lines, Avatar Kinect opens up a whole new world of creativity and social interactivity.
· “Body and Brain Connection” (NAMCO BANDAI Games). Developed under the supervision of renowned Japanese neuroscientist Dr. Ryuta Kawahima, “Body and Brain Connection” challenges players of all ages to exercise both their minds and bodies with fun, fast-paced mini-games ranging from math, logic and memory to reflex and physical-orientation exercises using the full-motion capabilities of Kinect for Xbox 360. “Body and Brain Connection” is now available on Xbox 360.
· “Michael Jackson The Experience” (Ubisoft). Featuring songs from Michael Jackson’s extensive catalogue, as well as an array of his signature, awe-inspiring dance moves, “Michael Jackson The Experience” is the ultimate interactive game that enables players to be the star of the show, with no controllers or microphones required. “Michael Jackson The Experience” will be available on Xbox 360 beginning 15 April.
· “Child of Eden” (Q Entertainment/Ubisoft) – Winner of several E3 awards, “Child of Eden” is a multi-sensory shooter from the mind of renowned game designer Tetsuya Mizuguchi that will send players diving into a kaleidoscopic matrix of synchronised music and mind-blowing visuals. Since “Child of Eden” was designed with Kinect for Xbox 360 in mind, only on Xbox 360 players will experience the controller-free magic that provides a new dimension of immersion when the game launches later this year.
· “The Gunstringer” (Twisted Pixel Games). From the developers that brought you award-winning hits like “Splosion Man” and “The Maw” comes an all-new Kinect-exclusive title, “The Gunstringer” for Xbox LIVE Arcade. Take control of an undead marionette in an epic Wild West stage production that requires your puppeteering and quick draw shooting skills to exact revenge on the Gunstringer's enemies – all controller-free. “The Gunstringer” will be available on Xbox LIVE Arcade this spring.
· “Kung Fu Panda® 2 video game” (THQ). Po the Panda is back and ready for another epic, action-packed adventure in the “Kung Fu Panda 2 video game.” The kung fu action is taken to a whole new level with the addition of Kinect as players pick up where the movie sequel leaves off, helping Po and the Furious Five use full-body kung fu moves to save kung fu forever. The “Kung Fu Panda 2 video game” will be available on Kinect for Xbox 360 this May in line with the theatrical release.
· “Carnival Games: Monkey See, Monkey Do” (2K Play). The “Carnival Games” series is back with exciting new ways to play! Available exclusively for Kinect for Xbox 360 on 15 April, this full-body experience features 20 new family-friendly games and attractions that bring the midway to life, including Alley Ball, Shark Tank and a Monkey Barker dance-off, as well as interactive prizes and surprises!
· “Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster” (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment). Available this autumn, kids and parents will embark on an uplifting and funny family adventure exclusively on Kinect for Xbox 360. Join Cookie Monster, Elmo and other Sesame Street characters as they explore a living storybook titled “Once Upon a Monster.” Meet zany new monster friends, help them solve their problems, forge friendships, and learn important life lessons along the way.
For consumer media enquiries, please contact:
Rebecca Rippin / 020 3047 4018 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Baz Singh / 020 3047 4024 / email@example.com
For specialist media enquiries, please contact:
Dominic Carey / 01189 095334 / firstname.lastname@example.org
For the latest Xbox news and announcements, please subscribe to the Xbox News RSS feed at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/xbox360press/ or follow us on Twitter @tweetbox360.
About Xbox 360
Xbox 360 is a premier home entertainment and video game system. With the addition of Kinect, Xbox 360 will forever transform social gaming and entertainment with a whole new way to play — no controller required. Xbox 360 is also home to the best and broadest games as well as the largest on-demand library of music, standard- and high-definition movies, TV shows and digital games, all in one place. The entertainment centre of the living room, Xbox 360 blends unbeatable content with the leading social network of 25 million Xbox LIVE members to create a limitless entertainment experience that can be shared at home or across the globe. More information about Xbox 360 can be found online at http://www.xbox.com.
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.