Tomodachi Collection reached the top of the Japanese software chart this week, selling 82,000 units to beat last week's number one - Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (79,000) - into second position.
With Monster Hunter 3 gaining one place to reach number three, it puts Nintendo platform titles in all of the top three positions.
PlayStation software was also prominent in the latest chart however, with all three newcomers to the top ten - Melty Blood: Actress Again (PS2) at number four, Okami Kakushu (PSP) at number seven and Kin-iro no Corda 2 f Encore (PSP) at number ten - appearing on Sony formats.
Wii Sports Resort dropped two places to number five, with a 70 per cent week-on-week sales drop to 32,000 units, and Namco's SD Gundam G Generation Wars dropped one place to number six.
Capcom's eternally popular Monster Hunter Portable 2 G remained at number eight in the chart, with a sales drop of 33 per cent to 18,000 copies, and Puyo Puyo 7 dropped two places to number nine.
Dropping out of the top ten from last week, to positions 11, 12 and 13 respectively, were Tales of Versus, Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi and Color Changing Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love.
The full Media Create Japanese software chart for the week August 17-23 is as follows:
- 01 Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (DS)
- 02 Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (DS)
- 03 Monster Hunter 3 (Wii)
- 04 Melty Blood: Actress Again (PS2)
- 05 Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
- 06 SD Gundam G Generation Wars (PS2)
- 07 Okami Kakushi (Sly Wolf) (PSP)
- 08 Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (PSP)
- 09 Puyo Puyo 7 (DS)
- 10 Kin-iro no Corda 2 f Encore (PSP)