Red Dead Redemption: US biggest-seller of 2010 so far
NPD: Rockstar on top but Nintendo dominate rest of Jan-June chart
Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption has become the US's best-selling game of 2010 so far, according to new NPD figures.
May's sales had it already put it ahead of the nearest competition, Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2, but combined with the number of units shifted in June, it has become the biggest-seller of the year's first six months.
New Super Mario Bros Wii tops the individual platform sales chart, but combined 360 and PS3 sales put Red Dead ahead.
However, apart from the number one spot, Nintendo had a clear dominance of the year to date. Seven of the individual platform sales top ten are Wii or DS titles.
In combined sales, 2009's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has unloaded more copies this year than any 2010 release other than Red Dead and New Super Mario Bros - reflecting what has otherwise not been a successful six months for new releases.
The top five best-selling games (combined platform) in the US for January to June 2010 follow. Total sales figures have not yet been released.
- 01 Red Dead Redemption (360, PS3)
- 02 New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
- 03 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360, PS3, PC)
- 04 Battlefield Bad Company 2 (360, PS3, PC)
- 05 Wii Fit Plus (Wii, both with and without Balance Board)
And the top ten individual platform games for the same period:
- 01 New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
- 02 Pokemon SoulSilver Version (DS)
- 03 Red Dead Redemption (360)
- 04 God of War III (PS3)
- 05 Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board(Wii)
- 06 Wii Sports Resort with Motion Plus (Wii)
- 07 Pokemon HeartGold Version (DS)
- 08 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
- 09 Just Dance (Wii)
- 10 Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)