Paddy Power, Ireland's largest bookmaker, has announced it is paying out early on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 being this year's Christmas number one.
Although the bookie saw a late surge of bets for FIFA 10, which resulted in the game's odds plummeting from 10/1 to 9/4 to make it second favourite, it decided MW2 had built up too much of a lead.
"Three out of every four bets placed on the Christmas number one videogame were backing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. With this level of support I don't think we're taking too much of a risk by paying out early," said Paddy Power.
The bookie will be paying out over EUR 12,000 to backers of MW2. Odds as high as 2/1 had been offered back in September.
The closing odds were as follows:
- 2/7 Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- 9/4 FIFA 10
- 6/1 Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games
- 6/1 Wii Sports Resort
- 10/1 Assassin's Creed II
- 14/1 New Super Mario Bros Wii
- 25/1 Wii Fit Plus
- 33/1 HALO 3: ODST
- 33/1 Need For Speed: Shift
- 33/1 DJ Hero
- 33/1 Football Manager 2010
- 50/1 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- 66/1 James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
- 66/1 PES 2010: Pro Evolution Soccer
- 80/1 Planet 51: The Game
- 80/1 Guitar Hero 5