The NPD Group has released its US software unit and revenue numbers for the month of August 2009, with EA's Madden 10 and Nintendo's Wii Sports Resort topping the charts on what has been the game industry's sixth consecutive month of year-on-year decline.
Overall, Madden 10 neared 1.9 million in sales amongst its five SKUs, with the Xbox 360 version selling the most at 928,000 units.
Wii Sports Resort, which premiered in July, continued its strong performance by moving another 754,000 copies.
Batman: Arkham Asylum, which premiered just four days shy of the NPD's August 29 data cut-off, sold a combined 593,000 units between its Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 releases.
The top ten individual titles for August follow.
- 01 Madden NFL 10 (EA, 360) - 928,000
- 02 Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii) - 754,000
- 03 Madden NFL 10 (EA, PS3) - 665,000
- 04 Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix, 360) - 303,000
- 05 Batman: Arkham Asylum (Square Enix, PS3) - 290,000
- 06 Madden NFL 10 (EA, PS2) - 160,000
- 07 Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square Enix, PSP) - 130,000
- 08 Wii Fit (Nintendo, Wii) - 128,000
- 09 Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo, Wii) - 120,000
- 10 Fossil Fighters (Nintendo, DS) - 92,000