Square Enix's Dragon Quest IV has gone straight to number one on the Japanese all-formats chart after selling just over 900,000 in its first week.
Behind it another new game - SEGA's Resonance of Fate on PlayStation 3 - took second place, with sales of 118,000. The game on Xbox 360 also entered the chart at number eight. Meanwhile, last week's number one game, New Super Mario Bros Wii, was pushed to third position.
The top ten saw two further new entries from Namco Bandai's Ar tonelico III at number four and Sony's MAG at number 10.
In the hardware chart, little changed from last week. The PSP continued its rein on first position with sales of 47,875 - down slightly from last week's 52,909, while the Wii held second place.
The DSi LL swapped places with the PS3, climbing to third position and sales of the PSPgo sunk further from last week's 1773 to 1645 this week.
The full Media Create software chart for the week ending January 31 is as follows:
- 01 Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reviere (DS)
- 02 Resonance of Fate (PS3)
- 03 New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
- 04 Ar tonelico III: Sekai Shuuen no Hikigane wa Shoujo no Uta ga Hajiku (PS3)
- 05 Friend Collection (DS)
- 06 Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
- 07 Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP)
- 08 Resonance of Fate (360)
- 09 Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSP)
- 10 MAG: Massive Action Game (PS3)
The hardware chart is as follows:
- 01 PlayStation Portable - 47,875
- 02 Nintendo Wii - 42,309
- 03 DSi LL - 34,863
- 04 PlayStation 3 - 34,431
- 05 Nintendo DSi - 24,783
- 06 DS Lite 6811
- 07 Xbox 360 - 4089
- 08 PlayStation 2 - 2182
- 09 PSP go - 1645