The Famitsu line of Japanese consumer-oriented magazines has announced the winners of the 2008 Famitsu Awards, with Capcom's Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G winning the Game of the Year and Best Seller prizes.
According to a report by 1UP.com, the awards ceremony was held today at Famitsu publisher Enterbrain's corporate headquarters. The Famitsu Awards are voted for by readers of the publisher's Weekly Famitsu magazine.
In addition to its two Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G honors, Capcom was also voted Company of the Year. Nintendo was also heavily honored, taking six awards. Among other highlights, Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima was individually honored by Famitsu's readers as Person of the Year.
The full list of winners, as translated by 1UP, follows:
- Game of the year: Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
- Best Seller: Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
- Person of the Year: Hideo Kojima
- Character of the Year: Solid Snake
- Company of the Year: Capcom
- Rookie Title Prize: The Last Remnant
- Innovation Prize: Wii Music
- High Quality Prize: Metal Gear Solid 4
- Racing Prize: Mario Kart Wii
- Multiplayer Prize: Super Smash Bros Brawl
- All Generation Prize: Pokemon Platinum
- Communication Prize: Animal Crossing: City Folk
- Adventure Puzzle Prize: Professor Layton and the Final Journey Through Time
- Masterpiece Prize: Dragon Quest V
- Character Action Prize: Dissidia Final Fantasy
- Role Playing Prize: Tales of Vesperia
- Dramatic Prize: 428
- PlayStation 2 Prize: Persona 4
- Worldwide Prize: Grand Theft Auto IV