Sections

Mass shooting at Madden tournament

Multiple fatalities in shooting at Madden Championship Series qualifying tournament in Florida

Multiple people are dead after a shooting at the GLHF Game Bar in Jacksonville, Florida, where Electronic Arts was holding a Madden NFL 19 Championship Series qualifying tournament.

The competition was being livestreamed on Twitch at the time of the shooting, and a number of gunshots could be heard on the stream before it went offline. The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office announced this afternoon that there had been a mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing complex (where GLHF is located), with multiple fatalities at the scene, and "many transported" to hospitals for injuries. A suspected shooter is among the dead, the Sheriff's Office said, though it was unknown if there were others.

Electronic Arts acknowledged the shooting on its official Madden Twitter account, saying, "We are aware of an incident at a sanctioned Madden Championship Series competition in Jacksonville. We are working with authorities to gather facts at this stage," adding, "This is a horrible situation, and our deepest sympathies go out to all involved."

[UPDATE]: Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams gave a brief update at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time explaining that The Landing complex had been cleared of potential witnesses and victims. The only suspect is a deceased white male, but Williams said police are still working to confirm his identity. More details are expected later tonight.

[ADDITIONAL UPDATE]: Sheriff Mike Williams provided a second update at 7:30 p.m. Eastern time providing the number of known victims and the name of the shooter. Total, the shooting had 13 total victims. Three deceased individuals were found at the scene, including the suspect, who killed himself. Nine others were injured and transported to local hospitals, seven with gunshot wounds. Two more victims with gunshot wounds transported themselves to the hospital.

At the time of this update, the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office believes the single suspect involved to be a 24-year-old white male name David Katz of Baltimore, Maryland, who was attending the tournament as a competitor. The department currently has impounded his vehicle and is investigating further.

[UPDATE 8/27]: EA has released an official statement:

"The tragic situation that occurred Sunday in Jacksonville was a senseless act of violence that we strongly condemn. Our most heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of the victims whose lives were taken today and those who were injured.

"All of us at Electronic Arts are devastated by this horrific event, and we also join the community in thanking the first responders who were quickly on the scene.

"Our focus right now is on those affected, and supporting law enforcement as they continue their investigation into this crime."

Related stories

EA details new cloud native development platform, Project Atlas

Unified platform aims to "seamlessly converge" artificial intelligence, cloud computing, and Frostbite engine

By Haydn Taylor

EA and Activision's $79bn games-as-a-service growth

DFC reports shows both publishers' values have surged since 2012 as they increase focus on live titles

By James Batchelor

Latest comments (1)

Jim Webb Executive Editor/Community Director, E-mpire Ltd. Co.2 months ago
I work 5 blocks from this venue. It's a sad day here for our gaming community.
1Sign inorRegisterto rate and reply

Sign in to contribute

Need an account? Register now.