Sections

Games account for 94% of Google Play revenue in South Korea

Messaging and communication apps only bring in 2.2%, even less from social media and dating apps

Gaming is by far the most lucrative of all mobile app types in South Korea. 94.4% of Google Play store revenue in the country comes from gaming apps, with social media, messaging and communication, and dating apps making up the remaining 5.6%.

This is according to a report in The Korea Herald based on a WiseApp survey of 23,000 Android users over the month of May. The report showed that messaging and communication apps came in second at 2.2% of all revenue, social media apps at 1.7%, "Other" at 1.3%, and dating apps at 0.5%.

Leading these gaming apps for revenue was NCSoft's Lineage M, followed by Black Desert Mobile, Mu Origin 2, Three Kingdoms M, and Lineage 2: Revolution, respectively.

Android is currently the favored mobile platform in South Korea, with over 90% of the population using it over iOS or other devices. However, in April, Google was under investigation by the country's FTC for allegedly pressuring developers to release games exclusively on its platform.

Related stories

Would a Google Stadia subscription service be bad news for the industry?

Analysts discuss Stadia's potential to drive "a major downward trend" on prices, and what subscriptions mean for developers and diversity of games

By Matthew Handrahan

Google Stadia will support the Xbox Adaptive Controller

Microsoft's accessible device included among third-party controllers Google's platform will support

By Matthew Handrahan

Latest comments

Sign in to contribute

Need an account? Register now.