11 bit Studios' Frostpunk picked up the award for Best Game at the Brazil Independent Games Festival in Sao Paulo yesterday.
The critically lauded real-time strategy game triumphed over stiff competition in the BIG Festival's most prestigious category. The other nominees were Motion Twin's Dead Cells, It's Anecdotal's 39 Days to Mars, Nyamakop's Semblance, Behold Studios' Galaxy of Pen and Paper and Studio Pixel Punk's Unsighted.
11 bit has enjoyed great success with Frostpunk, both critically and commercially. It sold 250,000 units after less than three days on sale.
The BIG Festival awards were decided by an international jury of industry experts: Electronic Arts' Lauren Freeman, Rovio's Reginaldo Valadares, Tinybuild's John Comes, IndieNova's Luis Wong and Bandai Namco's David Wood.
The winners of the BIG Festival's other main categories are listed below:
- Best Brazilian Game: No Heroes Here, Mad Mimic Interactive, Brazil
- Best Latin American Game: Iron Marines, Ironhide Game Studio, Uruguay
- Best Art: Chuchel, Amanita Design, Czech Republic
- Best Narrative: Where the Water Tastes Like Wine, Dim Bulb Games, USA
- Best Gameplay: Dead Cells, Motion Twins, France
- Best Sound: Rhythm Doctor, 7th Beat Games, Peru
- Innovation: Haimrik, Below the Game, Columbia
- Best Student Game: Motif., Yeta Game, Turkey
- Best Multiplayer Game: Muddledash, Slampunks, United Kingdom
- Best Virtual Reality Game: Luna, Funomena LLC, USA