||About the Role:
We are seeking a talented Game Designer to join a North West based studio on an exciting new project that is currently in full production. Successful applicants will have the opportunity to creatively influence a brand new franchise and be a part of our development strategy for years to come. This is a full time, in-house role currently based in the Greater Manchester area. Employment is based on an Initial 3 month temporary contract, leading to a contract extension or permanent role upon review.
Preferably 3 years games industry experience or experience of working on a full cycle of at least 1 published title. Applicants that do not have the preferred experience, but can provide strong portfolios displaying outstanding creative and technical ability will be taken in to consideration.
- Development and maintenance of game and level design documentation, such as mechanics, UI flow, level layouts and mission outlines.
- Helping to drive the design with regards to mechanics, story, missions and all other elements of the game/level design.
- Design levels, from prototype to completion with direction from leads.
- Be responsive to deadlines, work well under pressure providing time estimates to tasks.
- Critique and analyse, and in turn receive critique, using this to enrich your work.
- Tuning gameplay, fixing bugs and refining gameplay and level layouts.
- Liaise with 3D artists and animators to assist with immersive cutscenes to aid the visual narrative of the game.
- Of paramount importance, excellent skill and extensive knowledge of the Unreal Editor covering: blocking out levels, materials, asset population, lighting, kismet, applying sounds, particle effects and matinee. Unreal Editor 4: blocking out levels, materials, asset population, lighting, blueprints, applying sounds, particle effects etc.
- A firm grasp of the methodology behind scripted events using a graphical script interface.
- Deep understanding of games and what makes them fun.
- Ability to design and prototype levels from own initiative, in keeping with the games overall pacing and flow.
- Ability to work within an existing design concept creating new systems, missions and level layouts that fit this.
- Experience playing and understanding a wide array of genres, having played good and bad examples of games.
- Essential to be able to work collaboratively, solving complex problems on own initiative but also in a team.
- Must be able to communicate ideas and theories clearly and vividly to the rest of the team.
- Experience with MS Office suite or similar.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop, basic working knowledge of 3D package, preferably 3D Studio Max also useful.
- Unconditional passion for playing and creating games.
- A high degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Team players, with good communication skills.
Applications: Applicants that cannot provide examples of their work, or cannot legally work in the UK will not be considered. Please send us your CV and any links to portfolio work to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the keyword “Beyond Jobs: Game Designer”.