||Location – South East
Job Type – Contract
Format – Console / PC / Mobile
Salary – Good Day Rate
Software Test Engineer
Are you passionate about testing in order to create great games on Console, Windows, and Mobile platforms? Would you like to work in a fun, dynamic, energetic group that supports some of the brightest developers creating some of the best titles in games and interactive entertainment?
The prime responsibility of the Software Test Engineer is to combine and leverage key developer, franchise, feature and technology knowledge and expertise with testing expertise to expertly identify, analyse and report defects and issues impacting overall title quality to key project stakeholders. Maintaining high standards of defect information is critical to success.
The STE will need to pro-actively seek information from Test and Developer partners in order to produce or update testing effort; use the latest in house tooling and design / request reusable technologies that efficiently enhance or streamline Test efforts.
The STE will also be responsible for regularly reporting the status and trajectory of their feature area in parallel with the development process; considering risks and opportunities, bug data, coverage data, key milestones and any other project-specific issues and key performance indicators.
Working onsite you will be responsible for testing the studios currently in development title, providing expert black box and grey box testing. You’ll be well versed in cutting-edge Test methodologies and technical/non-technical techniques to help deliver the very best Testing service.
You will have continuous improvement in mind, working in an environment involving rapid deployment and fast iteration cycles. Therefore you need to be comfortable and confident working in an environment where risks and priorities can quickly emerge and change.
Key Requirements: (will vary depending on role)
- Prioritise work accordingly within the development schedule and defined process.
- Maintain area of expertise including risk assessment, mitigation and solutions for issues.
- Maintain and constantly improve on test approach, implementing practice designed to reduce cost by capturing issues early in the development phase.
- Impact analysis for any project design changes with regular and frequent communication to the reserves team.
- Monitor, assess and feedback on all critical issues at the relevant key milestones in the project lifecycle.
- Support senior staff in the production of reports & documentation regarding test progression and status, considering risks, bug data, coverage data and any other project issues.
- Be aware of business priorities in order to ensure test is working effectively and work closely with team to ensure they are met.
- Formulate strong relationships, based on skills, knowledge and trust, with development teams, development test and reserves test.
- Constantly promote test within development and actively seek out tasks that would benefit from test input.
- Creation and overall responsibility for test strategies and testing in given areas of game.
- When necessary liaise and work with other company testing functions worldwide to ensure process improvement and knowledge transfers.
- Be a point of contact for development teams in your given area, consult and improve understanding of testing needs and practices.
- Ensure and maintain absolute software and hardware security, inputting into roles and processes accordingly.
Required duties: (will vary depending on role)
- Maintain area of expertise including risk assessment, mitigation and solutions for issues
- Fully own all testing aspects of assigned feature or area
- Responsible for timely bug generation and management of bug lifecycle
- Know and report feature/area health and status
- Contribute to testing growth and advancement within the department
- Demonstrated knowledge of software development processes and technical understanding of game elements.
- Proven track record in entertainment testing in a test department with at least 3 titles completed and shipped or equivalent experiences elsewhere.
- Familiar with bug tracking and test case management software solutions
- Ability to breakdown a game feature into component parts to identify areas where issues may arise.
- Understanding of different development methodologies and ability to adapt test approach to best fit the chosen development framework.
- A good grasp of analytics and data visualisation with an understanding of how data can be used throughout the project lifecycle to aid testing
- Preferably ISEB/ISTQB qualified
- Good bug analysis skills resulting in timely decision making
- Familiarity with Game engine structure and appropriate technologies
- Design & coding experience using C/C++ and C#/related preferable
- Experience with Unreal a bonus
- Excellent office software skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Visio etc.
- Self-motivated with a strong work ethic.
- Passionate about pursuing advanced testing methodologies
- Enthusiastic and highly organized.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills.
- High capacity to learn new technologies quickly
- Strong ownership qualities with awareness and understanding of software deliverables and framework.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills; must be proficient in English.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional attitude under pressure while keeping a high level of integrity
- A passion for software testing and video games is essential along with good project management capabilities and thinking.
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science, design, engineering or equivalent work experience
- Special Requirements/Additional Information e.g. Language Skills
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills required - must be proficient in English.
To apply please send a CV to <a href=mailto:email@example.com>firstname.lastname@example.org</a>
Max Hurd - Programming Consultant
OPM Response Ltd
Direct Line: + 44 (0) 1206 214420
Email: <a href=mailto:Max@opmjobs.com>Max@opmjobs.com</a>
LinkedIn: <a href=http://uk.linkedin.com/in/maxhurdopm>http://uk.linkedin.com/in/maxhurdopm</a>
Twitter: <a href=https://twitter.com/OPM_programming>@OPM_programming</a>