Sections

Ubisoft has "very ambitious plans" for Massive - Walfisz

Former founder of World in Conflict studio confirms plans to stay in the games business

Former founder of Massive Entertainment, Martin Walfisz, has said that he intends to stay in the games industry despite leaving his old studio last week.

Walfisz walked away from the World in Conflict studio after 12 years, which parent company Ubisoft described as a saddening move.

"I will not manage Ubisoft Massive going forward. Last week I decided not to accept the offer to manage the studio, and my last day with the team was on Friday," Walfisz told GamesIndustry.biz.

"Ubisoft has very ambitious plans for Massive, and they are undoubtedly a great publisher, but they are not the right employer for me at this time in my life.

"Nevertheless, Massive is in good hands and I have no doubt that the company will continue to do greatness in the future. I want to thank everyone at the studio, and all the fans, for the good times so far," he added.

Walfisz confirmed that he has every intention to remain in the videogame business, but has no solid plans as yet.

"As for my own future, I have a lot of thoughts, but no concrete plans.

"I'll definitely stay in the games industry but first I'll take a few weeks to relax, I haven't had much time for that in the past twelve years."

Massive Entertainment will now help Ubisoft push into the online space, according to CEO Yves Guillemot, beginning with what he described as "light MMOs".

Related stories

Ubisoft addresses For Honor microtransaction concerns

Publisher "never had an intention" for players to unlock everything after consumers calculate $732 price tag

By James Batchelor

"There will be AAA VR games - we're making one with Star Trek: Bridge Crew"

Ubisoft's Chris Early and Red Storm's David Votypka on creating AAA value in VR through social interaction

By Matthew Handrahan

Latest comments

Sign in to contribute

Need an account? Register now.