Funcom open to acquisition, merger, etc.
Disappointing performance of Lego Minifigures Online has developer reviewing "strategic options"
Oslo-based MMO developer Funcom is reviewing its strategic options after the recent launch of Lego Minifigures Online fell short of expectations. The company on Friday announced that it is "actively seeking interested parties for discussions surrounding a possible investment, acquisition, merger, or any other available options."
Lego Minifigures Online was originally launched last year as a free-to-play PC game, but it didn't perform well with the intended audience and the game's developers felt the monetization model hurt the experience and made it less fun. So Funcom overhauled the game and re-released it in June as a pay-to-play multiplatform game. Unfortunately, the results weren't much better.
"The game is currently not meeting internal revenue forecasts," Funcom said several weeks after the re-launch. "This is mostly due to low sales on the PC platform. Sales on the iOS platform have performed better, mainly due to the featuring in the Apple Store during the launch week, but as the price point of the game on this platform is lower, these additional sales are not enough to compensate for the low sales on PC for the time being."
Complicating matters is the fact that Funcom has debt coming due in June 2016. The company has said it doesn't expect its revenues to be able to cover its obligations as well as its operational expenses, and has been in discussions with its principal creditor to work out a deal.
In addition to Lego Minifigures Online, Funcom also operates the free-to-play MMOs Age of Conan and Anarchy Online, as well as pay-to-play MMO The Secret World.
From GamesIndustry.biz Recommendations by Taboola

Is it a lack of marketing? I never saw a single advert anywhere for TSW and the only plug for AoC I can recall was on The Big Bang Theory, but I remember an awful lot of reviews for Anarchy Online back in the day. (Admittedly, a lot of them said the game was empty, which was probably not helpful.) And it definitely seemed that the conversion rate from The Secret War was waaay under 20%...
Is it just their choice of titles? Did the original Conan movies put people off Age of Conan. Did The Secret World scare people off with the threat of forcing people to read and know stuff?
I just don't get what's going wrong for them and it breaks my heart. They have writers that I would GLADLY cut off a limb to work with, the visuals are gorgeous (OK, Anarchy Online needed a new graphics engine for a long time but to be fair, it did launch last century), I paid my £100 for the TSW Super Duper pack and wanted to say "Thank you for taking my money!" (Admittedly, I was more grumpy about it six weeks later when I finished the game)... Do they just not have enough (or good enough) non-creative business guys?
If there's any light you can shed on it, Mr Sinclair, I've been dying to know why Funcom have had this money issue for years. Currently, I'm thinking it's some kind of curse.
Posted:A year ago