Youkai Watch 2 still number one in Japan
Another 332,000 sold for Level-5's RPG as handheld titles dominate
Youkia Watch 2 continued its dominance in the Japanese software chart last week, selling another 332,000 units.
Level-5's 3DS role-playing game sold 1.3 million units last week, and while its second week was inevitably lower it still proved more popular than the vast majority of games on their debuts.
It was a week that reinforced the dominance of handheld gaming in Japan, with four of the top five and eight of the top ten all on 3DS or PlayStation Vita. Indeed, second, third and fourth places were all new handheld releases: Sony's Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines with 93,000 sales, Gust's Atelier Shallie with 43,000, and Bandai Namco's Gundam Try Age SP with 21,000.
Here's the software top ten:
- [3DS] Youkai Watch 2: Ganso / Honke (Level-5, 07/10/14) - 331,946 (1,648,653 - lifetime sales)
- [PSV] Oreshika: Tainted Bloodblines (SCEJ, 07/17/14) - 93,775 (New)
- [PS3] Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (Gust, 07/17/14) - 43,744 (New)
- [3DS] Gundam Try Age SP (Bandai Namco, 07/17/14) - 21,524 (New)
- [Wii U] Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo, 05/29/14) - 14,992 (542,358)
- [3DS] Yokai Watch (Level-5, 07/11/13) - 12,790 (1,208,077)
- [PSV] Freedom Wars (SCEJ, 06/26/14) - 9,761 (262,427)
- [3DS] Taiko Drum Master: Don and Katsu's Space-Time Great Adventure (Bandai Namco, 06/26/14) - 9,258 (101,478)
- [3DS] Pokemon Art Academy (Nintendo, 06/19/14) - 5,714 (69,636)
- [PS3] Watch Dogs (Ubisoft, 06/26/14) - 5,628 (59,585)
And the hardware chart
- 3DS LL - 31,192 (55,531 - prior week sales)
- PlayStation Vita - 27,352 (38,907)
- Wii U - 8,209 (8,658)
- PlayStation 3 - 7,389 (7,763)
- PlayStation 4 - 6,456 (7,150)
- 3DS - 6,185 (6,425)
- PlayStation Vita TV - 2,249 (1,803)
- PSP - 556 (779)
- Xbox 360 - 129 (140)
All charts from Media Create, via Gematsu.
From GamesIndustry.biz Recommendations by Taboola