Sections

Microsoft cutting 75% of full time Xbox EMEA staff - report

"We eliminated a number of EMEA roles in the UK to gain efficiencies"

Latest reports suggest that the Microsoft restructuring process will have a massive impact on the Xbox EMEA team, with drastic cuts to the staff currently based in Reading.

According to MCV 75 per cent of full time Xbox EMEA roles there would be terminated and staff asked to reapply to secure the remaining 25 per cent. The UK Xbox team will reduce by ten per cent and all contractor roles have been terminated. Microsoft did not confirm these exact numbers to MCV, but did offer a statement.

"We remain very committed to the market and will continue to support our local development teams"

"We eliminated a number of EMEA roles in the UK to gain efficiencies," said a Microsoft spokesperson.

"We remain very committed to the market and will continue to support our local development teams. We believe that the UK has exceptional games industry talent and we'll continue to focus on game creation... through Microsoft Studios like Rare, Lionhead Studios, Lift London and Soho Productions. Also, Europe continues to be an important market for Xbox, and we're excited to launch Xbox One to fans in 13 mainland European markets in September."

GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to Microsoft's EMEA representatives for clarification on the restructuring.

The move comes as part of a global restructuring plan laid out by new CEO Satya Nadella which will see 18,000 jobs cut across the company.

If you have jobs news to share or a new hire you want to shout about, please contact us on newhires@gamesindustry.biz

Related stories

E3 2017: Conservatism and mid-generation lulls

With Sony and Microsoft seemingly on cruise control, Ubisoft and Nintendo could steal the show simply by rejecting conservatism

By Rob Fahey

Microsoft: Sony's comments about Minecraft safety "not healthy for anyone"

Xbox boss Phil Spencer responds to Sony's reasoning for not following Nintendo into cross-platform play

By Matthew Handrahan

Latest comments

Sign in to contribute

Need an account? Register now.