Gran Turismo 6 sells 200k in first week in Japan
Sony's racer steals the spotlight, but Dragon Quest X pushes Wii U to another strong week
Gran Turismo 6 enjoyed an impressive debut in Japan, selling more than 200,000 copies in its first week on sale.
The sixth full game in Sony's long-running racing series sold just under 205,000 units in Japan last week, almost doubling the performance of the game in second place: Square Enix's elaborately monickered Dragon Quest X: The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Sworn Friend Online, which sold a startling 117,000 copies on the Wii. Had the Wii U version's sales been added to the Wii, Dragon Quest X would have sold almost 190,000 copies.
The other high new entries were Spike Chunsoft's Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind and Level-5's Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy Big Bang / Supernova, both of which placed in the top 5 with more than 90,000 sales.
The software top 10 is below, with lifetimes sales in parentheses:
- 1. [PS3] Gran Turismo 6 (SCEJ, 12/06/13) - 204,784 (New)
- 2. [Wii] Dragon Quest X: The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Sworn Friend Online(Square Enix, 12/05/13) - 117,432 (New)
- 3. [3DS] Pokemon X and Y (Nintendo, 10/12/13) - 111,790 (3,200,919)
- 4. [3DS] Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind (Spike Chunsoft, 12/05/13) - 93,471 (New)
- 5. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy Big Bang / Supernova (Level-5, 12/05/13) - 91,643 (New)
- 6. [Wii U] Dragon Quest X: The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Sworn Friend Online (Square Enix, 12/05/13) - 70,648 (New)
- 7. [Wii U] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo, 11/21/13) - 43,844 (183,245)
- 8. [3DS] Bravely Default: For the Sequel (Square Enix, 12/05/13) - 35,617 (New)
- 9. [3DS] Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal: Duel Carnival (Konami, 12/05/13) - 26,497 (New)
- 10. [PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix, 11/21/13) - 21,600 (358,755)
In the hardware chart, the Wii U continued its strong run of form, adding 20,000 sales to reach more than 48,000 for the week - presumably due to the strong debut of Dragon Quest X.
The full hardware chart is below, with the previous week's sales in parentheses:
- 1. 3DS LL - 92,375 (82,409)
- 2. Wii U - 48,762 (28,518)
- 3. 3DS - 32,894 (25,964)
- 4. PlayStation Vita - 25,594 (20,202)
- 5. PlayStation 3 - 24,085 (13,311)
- 6. PSP - 4,416 (4,232)
- 7. PlayStation Vita TV - 3,772 (5,391)
- 8. Wii - 767 (588)
- 9. Xbox 360 - 473 (309)
Thanks, body textGematsu.
From GamesIndustry.biz Recommendations by Taboola