The 3DS has passed the Wii's lifetime sales total in Japan, hitting a career sales to date of 12,752,731 compared to the Wii's 12,698,878. With the 3DS still crushing the domestic handheld market and the Wii U struggling to make any impact, it looks like the 3DS will hold that crown for some time to come.
The figures, from Japanese sales tracking group Media Create, also show that the 3DS is utterly dominating the software chart, accounting for an incredible 60 per cent of the top twenty. Famitsu's own sales figures give 15 of the top thirty selling games to the system.
Still buoyed by the incredible sales figures of Monster Hunter 4, the 3DS sold 159,388 units this week, an incredible portion of the 187,773 units of hardware sold across all platforms. Its closest rival remains the PS3, which managed 10,749 sales.
Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2013 (Sep 16 - Sep 22)
- 01. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4
- 02. [PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru
- 03. [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Real Reborn
- 04. [3DS] Friend Collection: New Life
- 05. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
- 06. [3DS] Disney Magic Castle: My Happy Life
- 07. [3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition
- 08. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- 09. [3DS] Youkai Watch
- 10. [PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Full Voice Special
- 11. [PSP] Brothers Conflict: Brilliant Blue
- 12. [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
- 13. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
- 14. [PS3] Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist
- 15. [3DS] Mario Kart 7
- 16. [3DS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms
- 17. [PS3] AKB1/149: Love Election
- 18. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2
- 19. [PS3] Phantom Breaker: Extra
- 20. [3DS] Mushi Bugyou