Massachusetts pulls violent games from rest stops
Newtown shooting prompts state to remove some arcade machines; town of Melrose starting violent game collection drive
The backlash against violent games continues a month after a school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut left dozens dead. As reported by The Boston Globe, officials in neighboring Massachusetts have pulled violent arcade games from state-owned rest stops, and one town is planning a violent game collection drive.
Massachusetts Transportation Secretary Richard Davey said that violent arcade games were removed from the rest stops after a resident complained. Time Crisis and Beach Head 2000 were given as examples of games taken away, while Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, and Cruis'n Exotica were allowed to remain.
"Bottom line is I think there isn't a person who doesn't believe that there isn't too much violence in our society, and games can glorify that," Davey told the paper. "A video game in a public space could be used by anybody of any age."
Concern about violent games isn't limited to the state's highways. The town of Melrose, roughly three hours' drive from Newtown, is holding a "New Year, New Direction" violent game collection drive. Much like the drive planned (but abandoned) by the town of Southington, Connecticut earlier this month, Melrose is promising to give coupons for local businesses to families who turn in their violent games, movies, and toys for disposal at the city's junk yard. The city expects to begin the program February 1.
From GamesIndustry.biz Recommendations by Taboola